What's new
Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Drones everywhere!

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I am surprised how far drones are these days. I was in a Best Buy over the weekend and can't believe how many there are. They had some real professional ones too. Pretty amazing stuff. I would be scared to break them since they cost so much.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator

Iran's Revolutionary Guard has built a new attack drone which is similar to a U.S. unmanned aerial vehicle captured five years ago, Iranian media reported on Saturday.

The semi-official Tasnim news agency says the "Saegheh" (Thunderbolt) drone is similar to the RQ-170 Sentinel spy drone. Iran's state-run Press TV says the long-range drone can carry four precision-guided bombs. Neither report gave figures for the drone's range.

Iran claimed to have shot down an RQ-170 drone used by the Central Intelligence Agency in December 2011 and broadcast footage of the recovered aircraft. It also claims to have captured three American ScanEagle drones.

Iran said last year that it had successfully tested its replica of the RQ-170.

Also on Saturday, Tasnim published photos of what it said was a U.S.-made MQ-1C drone captured recently by the Guard. It did not say when or how the drone was captured.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
NYPD Deploying Drone for First Time to Secure New Year's Party
In a first, the department will also be deploying its own drone to add another camera to the sky, augmenting the NYPD's helicopter fleet. The drone will be tethered to the ground and will have an area cordoned off below it to protect revelers in the event of a malfunction. The FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force will also be on hand with counter-drone technology, authorities said. The extraordinary security measures include welding shut manhole covers and embedding officers inside area hotels.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator

According to the report, the pilots who reported the aerial phenomena "speculated that the objects were part of some classified and extremely advanced drone program." In another instance, one pilot told Lt. Graves that he "almost hit one of those things" and that he described it as looking "like a sphere encasing a cube."
Lt. Graves and his fellow pilots told the newspaper that "the video showed objects accelerating to hypersonic speed, making sudden stops and instantaneous turns — something beyond the physical limits of a human crew."

Last edited:

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Unfortunately, this stuff is too easy to do as it advances. Think about how effective kamikaze pilots were. They only needed to focus on a one way path, which made hitting the target easier, but the problem is you had to have living people sacrifice themselves. Now you just make a computer do everything, and can simplify it's build by finding and hitting the target only and not worrying about defense. China can also build this stuff cheap and fast, and doesn't need to last long like most of their cheap products.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
@ryanator got me thinking about this. I wonder how long till someone attaches a bomb to a drone and flies it into the Statue of Liberty or another crowded place like the superbowl etc. They have advanced so much for personal use as well. China could mass produce these on a large scale and send a "swarm" over all at once and since there would be so many and so small, the U.S. might have a hard time knocking them all down at once. It's coming I'm sure.