Mic catches Montana Commissioner trying to destroy solar projects

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not surprised by this.

Speaking with staff during a mid-session break, Public Service Commissioner Bob Lake acknowledged that cuts made that morning to rates and contracts offered to small renewable energy projects are likely deep enough to kill future development. By federal law, the commission’s actions were supposed to promote renewable energy.

“Just dropping the rate that much probably took care of the whole thing,” Templeton says on the recording, on which there’s some debate about whether the contracts should be considered 5 years or 10 years.“Well,” replies Lake, “the 10-year might do it if the price doesn’t. And at this low price, I can’t imagine anyone getting into it.

“So, it becomes a totally moot point because just dropping the rate that much probably took care of the whole thing.”

Source

Does that mean he was trying to cater to other industries that provide the same product?

Does that mean he was trying to cater to other industries that provide the same product?
No I think this is out of Billings. Billings is close to Colstrip which is a huge coal mine that provides a bunch of jobs to people around there. So basically they don't want competition and don't like change. Clean energy threatens jobs in the surrounding area.

Makes sense then. I suppose the gentleman is in "trouble" now. 

Makes sense then. I suppose the gentleman is in "trouble" now. 
Most Montana folk probably could care less, but since it will make national news you will have environmentalist and hippies calling for his head. I am all for clean energy myself. It's healthy competition.

When we were in Jamestown, the price of the kilowatt went up after they brought wind in. Stated it right on the bill 

Trump said he might put solar panels on the wall so Mexico doesn't have to pay as much. And the taller the wall, the more solar power it would generate. Double win.

Trump said he might put solar panels on the wall so Mexico doesn't have to pay as much. And the taller the wall, the more solar power it would generate. Double win.
I would imagine this would hurt the oil industry quite a bit. Even a statement like that could. Just put windmills on the tops if someone tries to climb over it would be like a meat processor lol.

Back