What is Deja vu, and have you experienced it?

Yah, I've had quite a few Deja Vu experiences.  I can't recall any in grand detail, but it's a little creepy when you have the feeling you know what is going to happen.

I always get the feeling that I have been there/down that type. I will be talking to someone and go "wait I have already done this". Or even be driving and be live "wait a minute I have already driven here". Its like your life is on a line or path, and for someone reason you go back a few seconds in time or forward a few seconds in time to look back at yourself and see that you are about to do something, or already have done that.

Man, great topic.  I've had many experiences with it, unexplainable really.

It's what happens when THEY change something....

It's what happens when THEY change something....
"It's a glitch in the Matrix!"

I get this upon returning to work. "the feeling that I've been there before."

In reality your just living the same day over and over just like groundhog day, it's just your mind erases itself at night.  ;-)

In reality your just living the same day over and over just like groundhog day' date=' it's just your mind erases itself at night.  ;-)[/quote']
:smt078

einstein had a theory about how time was in different dimensions running continuously together. sometimes i wonder if deja vu isn't similar to different dimensions...like we have lives on different dimensions and occasionally our brain or our experience in one dimension transfer's to the next on accident.

einstein had a theory about how time was in different dimensions running continuously together. sometimes i wonder if deja vu isn't similar to different dimensions...like we have lives on different dimensions and occasionally our brain or our experience in one dimension transfer's to the next on accident.
String Theory?

Maybe you mind is like a computer (after all they say it's just a bunch of electrical charges anyway). At night when you sleep you mind goes into a defrag mode and defrags itself. That's why you feel so refreshed in the morning. And maybe the feeling you get is because of a "hiccup or bug in the software". Maybe none of this is real and you mind is just running a program. Maybe everyone you know and the world as you know, everything from the sky to the earth is just in your program that was written in your mind. Your whole life is just a big program that runs inside your head. Death is nothing more than your cpu (brain) running out of clock cycles. I need to take my tinfoil hat off for awhile I think.  :oops:

physics was never my strong suit so what i could read about string theory was a little over my head. i was refering more to this.

http://everythingforever.com/einstein.htm

if it's the same thing as string theory then i guess that's what i mean.

Maybe you mind is like a computer (after all they say it's just a bunch of electrical charges anyway). At night when you sleep you mind goes into a defrag mode and defrags itself. That's why you feel so refreshed in the morning. And maybe the feeling you get is because of a "hiccup or bug in the software". Maybe none of this is real and you mind is just running a program. Maybe everyone you know and the world as you know, everything from the sky to the earth is just in your program that was written in your mind. Your whole life is just a big program that runs inside your head. Death is nothing more than your cpu (brain) running out of clock cycles. I need to take my tinfoil hat off for awhile I think.
remember when that was called the matrix...remember that, that was awesome

Descartes had similar inclinations centuries ago.

The movie The Matrix displays a social deception in which Neo, the main character, is caught between what he thought was once reality and a whole new world that controls everything he thought was real. If I were Neo, I would not truly be able to know that I was in the matrix. However, it is rational to believe that I am in the matrix and will eventually enter back into my reality later. The proof that that I can know that I am in the matrix and that I will return to reality comes from the responses of foundationalism and idealism.

To begin, foundationalism is the essence of what we are certain of. Many philosophers argue on the basis of foundationalism to find out where knowledge begins. This will help determine if Neo would be able to know or not know if he is dreaming up the matrix or in fact that it is reality. The popularity of foundationalism starts with Descartes. He challenged the previously popular skepticism. In Descartes Meditations he discusses many issues relating to the question of where does knowledge come from? His main arguments appear in his dreaming argument. He first begins by stating

a. I often have perceptions very much like the ones I usually have in sensation while I am dreaming. Then he goes on to say

b. There are no definite signs to distinguish dream experience from waking experience. These two premises lead to the conclusion that

c. It is possible that I am dreaming right now and that all my perceptions are false.

This shows that there is no real way to know to know anything. Descartes add to his argument using foundationalism. Throughout my writings I have made it clear that my method imitates that of the architect. When an architect wants to build a house which is stable on ground where there is a sandy topsoil over underlying rock, or clay, or some other firm base, he begins by digging out a set of trenches from which he removes the sand, and anything resting on or mixed in with the sand, so that he can lay his foundations on firm soil. In the same way, I began by taking everything that was doubtful and throwing it out, like sand ... (Replies 7, AT 7:537) (Lex, Newman). This explains how foundationalism works; you must remove all of your doubt to advance to the foundation of which you are sure of. This is called the method of doubt. Once you know what you are sure of, you can build up knowledge from there. Many wonder how we can wonder we are not dreaming. Some agree that you cannot feel pain in a dream, but others say they have. The argument that dreams are not related to memory is strong because most people do not remember their dreams. Descartes explains that in a dream you can feel as if you are using all of your senses, but they seem to be more vague than when awake. Descartes struggles with the dream issue until he comes upon his conclusion. "For I now notice that there is a vast difference between the two, in that dreams are never linked by memory with all the other actions of life as waking experiences are. If, while I am awake, anyone were suddenly to appear to me and then disappear immediately, as happens in sleep, so that I could not see where he had come from or where he had gone to, it would not be unreasonable for me to judge that he was a ghost, or a vision created in my brain, rather than a real man. But when I distinctly see where things come from and where and when they come to me, and when I can connect my perceptions of them with the whole of the rest of my life without a break, then I am quite certain that when I encounter these things I am not asleep but awake. And I ought not to have even the slightest doubt of their reality if, after calling upon all the senses as well as my memory and my intellect in order to check them, I receive no conflicting reports from any of these sources." (Meditation 6, para 89 - 90)

http://nisargadatta.net/Matrix/matrix_philosophy_4.htm

Back