Ubuntu Linux OS

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I tried this out today. All I can say is WOW! Last time I messed with Linux was back in the old Red Hat days. And let's just say it wasn't too fun. Because of my own mistake I lost alot of data fooling around back then. But they sure have come along ways. I installed this on a machine and was very impressed. It was very easy to set up and navigate. I am going to try the server edition here in a little bit to see how it runs. I would say for the average joe that out of the box this kernal is ready to go. All in all I am very impressed.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

EDIT: Tried out the server version also, works nice. :smt023

A little insight on the evolution of linux

http://730x.up.md/wp-content/44218-1.png (This would be way to huge to put into this post so link to image is provided)

Debian and all of it's off shoots (Ubuntu, Xandros, etc) are all nice, but I am still partial to Gentoo and Suse

A little insight on the evolution of linuxhttp://730x.up.md/wp-content/44218-1.png (This would be way to huge to put into this post so link to image is provided)Debian and all of it's off shoots (Ubuntu' date=' Xandros, etc) are all nice, but I am still partial to Gentoo and Suse[/quote']

Cool chart, like I said I was really impressed with Ubuntu. I would like to get a system up and running at home with it on.

I have seen this installed and running a little way back at the beginning of the year. Not much input on it though.

So mad download the ubuntu, but accidentally got the old version :smt013 Here we go again, another hour... :smt011

FYI: Ubuntu 7.04 is out.

New features in Feisty FawnMigration assistant: The new migration tool recognises Internet Explorer bookmarks, Firefox favourites, desktop wallpaper, AOL IM contacts, and Yahoo IM contacts, and imports them into Ubuntu during installation. This offers easier and faster migration for new users of Ubuntu and individuals wanting to run a dual-boot system.Easy-to-install codec wizards: A new guided wizard for installing codecs not shipped with Ubuntu gives users a safe way of installing codecs they can legally use to view multimedia content.

Plug and play network sharing with Avahi: This new feature allows users to automatically discover and join a wireless network and share music, find printers and more.

Kernel Virtual Machine: On x86 systems with the Intel VT or AMD-V extensions, Kernel-based Virtual Machine support (KVM) allows users to run multiple virtual machines running unmodified Linux. Each virtual machine has private virtualised hardware: a network card, disk, graphics adapter, and so on. We have also added VMI support, which provides optimised performance under VMWare.

Faster searching with Tracker: Tracker is a search tool much like Beagle. Both programs will be available in the repositories.

Networking Improvements: New in Feisty is Network Manager, a simple way to find and connect to wireless and wired networks.New Zeroconf support makes it easy to network desktop computers without needing servers to assign IP addresses or names.

Artwork:For Feisty all new artwork is trickling in, including a new background image, and a usplash image that has more 'bling'.

Help Center:In order to make Help more accessible, a brand new Help Center with a easier to use interface that is more stylish.

Print and sound support: Jetpipe, a new printing architecture for thin clients, greatly improves on previous technologies.Sound support in applications is also dramatically improved with the PulseAudio sound server.

Thin client management: Administrators can now manage thin client connections to a server more easily.

VPN: Easy VPN access with NetworkManager.

New Gnome control center

Desktop Effects: Graphical Desktop Effects will be made extremely accessible, with one click activation in the system menu.

Current versions available in Festy Fawn

On the Desktop: GNOME 2.18, OpenOffice.org 2.2.0rc3, X.org 7.2

On the Server: Apache 2.2, PostgreSQL 8.2, PHP 5.2.1, LTSP 5.0

Under the hood: GCC 4.1.2, glibc 2.5, Linux 2.6.20, Python 2.5

Beats the crap out of Vista. People complain about the lack of drivers and apps for Linux. Um, take a long hard look at Vista and ask yourself why they are so willing to put up with the very things they hold against linux.

Beats the crap out of Vista. People complain about the lack of drivers and apps for Linux. Um, take a long hard look at Vista and ask yourself why they are so willing to put up with the very things they hold against linux.
Word brother!

People will come to complain about lack of support for Vista as well.  But consider this, will HP/Dell/etc continue to support their older model printers for any longer than they normally do now?  Not when they can give you a discounted Vista capable printer (with Vista drivers mind you) when they sell you that new Vista capable PC.  Come to think of it, wasn't there a lag time for XP drivers initially?I would say that the people that complained about the driver support for linux may have been using that as crutch because it was still easier to "obtain" a copy of windows that worked rather than following with compatibility issues - I did.

Me...I finally downloaded my first Linux distro today.  I already had someone give me a copy of Unbuntu, but I figured, I would download the most recent.  I was never daring enough to battle with the compatibility issues years ago when linux was just a new fad... 

People will come to complain about lack of support for Vista as well.  But consider this, will HP/Dell/etc continue to support their older model printers for any longer than they normally do now?  Not when they can give you a discounted Vista capable printer (with Vista drivers mind you) when they sell you that new Vista capable PC.  Come to think of it, wasn't there a lag time for XP drivers initially?I would say that the people that complained about the driver support for linux may have been using that as crutch because it was still easier to "obtain" a copy of windows that worked rather than following with compatibility issues - I did.

Me...I finally downloaded my first Linux distro today.  I already had someone give me a copy of Unbuntu, but I figured, I would download the most recent.  I was never daring enough to battle with the compatibility issues years ago when linux was just a new fad... 
Let us know what you think of the new version. I haven't had a chance to grab her yet.

Grabbing this now, gonna give her a go today.

Linux... fad...  :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back