Russia's own internet?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So rumor on the street is Russia is thinking of creating it's own internet with it's friends. I can't say I blame them with all the takeover of the internet anymore. I have always said that it needed to remained untouched to see how it would evolve. But it seems like there is to much control anymore of it.

Russia is intending to set up its "own internet" according to a number of Russian news sources citing a document signed by President Vladimir Putin earlier this month.At a meeting at the end of the October, the Russian Security Council ordered its telecoms ministry to look at a "system of backup DNS root name servers, independent of the control of ICANN, IANA and VeriSign, and capable of servicing the requests of users from the listed countries in the case of faults or targeted intervention," according to the policy document, which RBC authenticated this week.

The "backup" servers would be placed in BRICS countries – Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa – and be exclusively for their use. The rationale for setting up such a system is, according to the document, "the increased capabilities of western countries to carry out offensive operations in information space, and their willingness to use them."

The document also points to the "dominance of the US and several EU countries in matters of internet control," as justification for setting up the alternative platform.

Its stated goal is to ensure that, from Moscow's point of view, Russian .ru websites remain accessible even if the .ru top-level domain is removed or hijacked in the main root zone file; the implication being that the United States could use the web as a weapon, and force changes onto the internet's main address book to effectively knock Russian websites and services offline. The world's domain name system is run by ICANN, a non-profit based in California, USA, and could be leaned on by Uncle Sam, it's feared.

Several Russian news outlets referenced a 2016 interview with Alexey Platonov, the director general of the Technical Center of Internet (TCI) – .ru's technical body – to explain why such a system is necessary.
Source

Back