Nintendo Switch

And yes, it has 0 streaming services as well.  I'm sure with enough sales they'll eventually get Netflix and Hulu, who knows about Amazon.  But really... who cares.  As already noted you buy this thing to play Zelda/Mario.  If this having or not having Netflix is even close to a deal break it isn't the console/tablet/handheld/whatever for you.  Who doesn't already have a tablet/PC/streaming stick/other consoles/smart TV that has those things built in.    It doesn't have a disc drive or such either - it isn't nearly suited to be a game/media hub like the other consoles
You know the more I think about this the more I kinda like it. Just say no to it and allow it to be a solid gaming system, but then again we live in such a connected media world people would bitch about it.

You know the more I think about this the more I kinda like it. Just say no to it and allow it to be a solid gaming system, but then again we live in such a connected media world people would bitch about it.
I'm sure they'll show up, Nintendo says they will (we'll see, they need buy in from those companies to build the apps).  I just don't see the point.  I have tablets/phones and other much more used consoles and devices connected to a TV already.  I don't need this to do that, I will only ever use it to play Zelda and Mario

BTW - if you like open world games and/or Zelda you should consider this and get the Zelda game (or if you have a Wii U play it on that).  I've played a bit the last few days and the game is awesome.  I've only played on it as a handheld, maybe I"ll hook the dock up sometime this weekend and try it on big screen.  Either way, I've never been a Zelda player but the exploration of the open world and such has been fun so far and will be many,many hours of play 

BTW - if you like open world games and/or Zelda you should consider this and get the Zelda game (or if you have a Wii U play it on that).  I've played a bit the last few days and the game is awesome.  I've only played on it as a handheld, maybe I"ll hook the dock up sometime this weekend and try it on big screen.  Either way, I've never been a Zelda player but the exploration of the open world and such has been fun so far and will be many,many hours of play 
This, if the 2 of us who were strictly into the XBox One, can get it and enjoy it anyone can.

This, if the 2 of us who were strictly into the XBox One, can get it and enjoy it anyone can.
If I can get a game on the Xbox I'll still play it there.  Achievements for the win, and most of my friends are there.  But like any quality game, if it's exclusive I will play elsewhere.  Zelda (and eventually Mario) will make it worth owning.  Off topic, but one of these days I also need to brush dust off my PS4 and play Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn I suppose too...

Off topic, but one of these days I also need to brush dust off my PS4 and play Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn I suppose too...
I bet you would like Horizon Zero Dawn. It seems like a game you would like. With beautiful landscapes, and robotics.

I've been playing a lot of BotW on the Switch.  Also, it got me reminiscing about Mario games and stuff, so I tracked down a refurbished Wii U...   Anyway, BotW is amazing and huge.  I've played a lot of hours (5+ hours a number of days - i'm sure over 40 hours in by now) and I just cleared one of the main points last night and I have maybe 1/3 or so of the map revealed, and of that area I'm sure I haven't done anywhere near all the content available on what I have opened so far.  Problem is it is addicting, I didn't put it down until after 1:00 am today before sleeping because I just had to finish this one thing...

Then the new Mass Effect will drop on me, plus a Destiny update inbound in a couple weeks... 

I've been playing a lot of BotW on the Switch.  Also, it got me reminiscing about Mario games and stuff, so I tracked down a refurbished Wii U...   Anyway, BotW is amazing and huge.  I've played a lot of hours (5+ hours a number of days - i'm sure over 40 hours in by now) and I just cleared one of the main points last night and I have maybe 1/3 or so of the map revealed, and of that area I'm sure I haven't done anywhere near all the content available on what I have opened so far.  Problem is it is addicting, I didn't put it down until after 1:00 am today before sleeping because I just had to finish this one thing...Then the new Mass Effect will drop on me, plus a Destiny update inbound in a couple weeks... 
I agree about the Switch and Zelda. I am also loving it. Very beautiful game. World is HUGE and man it's just done so well. I am going to bring up a few things I dislike or find to take a way from my enjoyment a little. First off weapons breaking. Should not have been included in a Zelda game, EVER. Who likes to go into a dungeon to fight a hard enemy to have their weapons constantly break and then you have to go into the menu and equip another? Frustrating at times. Doesn't take away from the game overall but annoying. Same goes for an inventory limit. I can only have so many weapons on me that will break anyway? What if I run out? They do have many weapons to pick up everywhere to make that not too much an issue but still.Also the world is HUGE and it's sometimes a pain to travel. Climbing is a chore and slow. Same with swimming. You have an endurance meter and with swimming and climbing if it runs out you either drown and go back to shore if swimming or fall if climbing. For such a large world I wish travel was easier. You can fast travel once you find travel points so I guess exploring is something that can be fun but with limited time I guess the old me see sit as a chore.

Still have to say such an amazing game and worth it.

I agree about the Switch and Zelda. I am also loving it. Very beautiful game. World is HUGE and man it's just done so well. I am going to bring up a few things I dislike or find to take a way from my enjoyment a little. First off weapons breaking. Should not have been included in a Zelda game, EVER. Who likes to go into a dungeon to fight a hard enemy to have their weapons constantly break and then you have to go into the menu and equip another? Frustrating at times. Doesn't take away from the game overall but annoying. Same goes for an inventory limit. I can only have so many weapons on me that will break anyway? What if I run out? They do have many weapons to pick up everywhere to make that not too much an issue but still.Also the world is HUGE and it's sometimes a pain to travel. Climbing is a chore and slow. Same with swimming. You have an endurance meter and with swimming and climbing if it runs out you either drown and go back to shore if swimming or fall if climbing. For such a large world I wish travel was easier. You can fast travel once you find travel points so I guess exploring is something that can be fun but with limited time I guess the old me see sit as a chore.
Still have to say such an amazing game and worth it.
Yeah, the weapon breaking is a pain.  Climbing and swimming are a bit of a pain.  Having not really played previous Zelda's they just seem to be a normal mechanic to me I guess.  Plus, as far as "completion percent" of the game, most of it is collecting the Korok seeds, which you can turn in to expand your inventory slots for weapons/shields/bows, so you eventually have a lot of them sitting in your inventory I guess.Travel is a pain if you are exploring and trying to climb a lot.  There are clothing items you get that will increase climbing speed or swimming speed to alleviate that eventually though.  Also, I've spent more of my spirit orbs on endurance than I have on hearts.  I have lots of cooked items for health and extra hearts in inventory, the extra endurance to climb higher peaks is nice

Still playing lots of Zelda.  Spent pretty much all night last night on it again (like 5:30ish until after midnight with some breaks here and there).  I did a few shrines that I ran across, and worked my way to a far north east corner of the map, scoured the tower for that area and a few other things afterwards.  Such a huge world, and still so many areas to explore and shrines to find.  I think I'm in the mid-20s for shrines completed and there's 120 of them in the game - plus the 4 main things you gotta deal with and the final boss as far as quests....

Going to add I also have been playing Zelda when I get gaming time and man is it amazing. @nodle I am telling you this would be right up there for you. THe art style, graphics, color. Such a huge world to explore and so much to do if you wanted to. The major "dungeons" are unique in a way. First you fight the large beast and is very similar to Shadow of the Colossus. Once "beaten" it turns into the actual dungeon with puzzles to explore and figure out to then get to the boss of that dungeon.

Wow is all I can say.

Going to add I also have been playing Zelda when I get gaming time and man is it amazing. @nodle I am telling you this would be right up there for you. THe art style, graphics, color. Such a huge world to explore and so much to do if you wanted to. The major "dungeons" are unique in a way. First you fight the large beast and is very similar to Shadow of the Colossus. Once "beaten" it turns into the actual dungeon with puzzles to explore and figure out to then get to the boss of that dungeon.Wow is all I can say.
I know but WoW. Plus it never ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know but WoW. Plus it never ends.
You have a Wii U don't you?  Pretty sure I recall you talking about how nice the game pad thing was once upon a time...   You should get this and give it a try for your Wii U

You have a Wii U don't you?  Pretty sure I recall you talking about how nice the game pad thing was once upon a time...   You should get this and give it a try for your Wii U
No I don't I sold it to some kid over a year ago.

Did either of you @C Pav or @ndboarder beat Zelda yet?
No - I have I am sure over 70 hours in.  I know it was over 65 last week and I spent plenty of time in it this weekend.  I have done about 2/3 of the shrines, found 1/3 of the collectible things you use to increase inventory space, completed 4/4 divine beasts (dungeons).  I spent most of my time over the weekend exploring areas of the map where I hadn't found shrines and such just looking for new places and exploring.

I am getting to the point though that I'm going to have to just use online maps to hunt down the remaining shrines if I want them.  Shrines are just for spirit orbs which you can use to increase your stamina or health though.  I have stamina maxed and well over half the max possible health, so even then its just a completionist thing, so I am close to just heading toward the final fight - could always just do the rest of that cleanup later

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a dream I picked up a Switch last night. I also got Zelda with it, but the funny part was in my dream it was the original Zelda.

I saw a few of them in a local Walmart last weekend.  Managed to get my hands on a pro controller, nice for the once in a while I play it docked on TV.  ALso picked up a second charger for mine so I could charge while playing it as a handheld and not only when it was in the dock. 

Note for non-owners you get a charger for it, but in order to hook up the dock the charger will be plugged into the dock and the only USB C charger you have that's capable of charging while playing will now only be usable when you put it in the dock.  So plan to play on TV docked or for a couple hours as a handheld before having to put back in the dock if you don't have a second charger

This thread has been a little quite, are you guys still enjoying the Switch? I did see some reports about screens bending while sitting in the dock. Anyone else seen these reports?

Back