YouTube ads lately

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does it seem like you can't watch any YouTube videos these days without being bombarded by Ads left and right? I mean they are 4-5 seconds ads but they are everywhere. Skip forward in the video, BAM! enjoy another 5 second Ad. Whoops I skipped to far move it back a hair, nope BAM! another Ad. I understand they need to have them here and there but the seems to be going overboard lately with them or is it just me? Seems like this all started right before the elections.

Yuuuuup. Trying to nudge people toward their premium ad-free product I suppose.

It’s been increasingly terrible. I know others out there are trying to advertise competitors with some moving over, but YouTube is still king.

It’s been increasingly terrible. I know others out there are trying to advertise competitors with some moving over, but YouTube is still king.
You know we need a new video hosting service out there. Something to give YouTube some competition. Unfortunately that requires tons of storage. The only other company that I can think of with that type of storage capacity would be Apple or Amazon.

I'm a bit curious what makes you think Apple would have the infrastructure for such a thing when they have no real cloud service or anything like what Google has, or Amazon with AWS, or that one other big cloud hosting company...

I also laugh when people complain about free products that clearly have a huge backend cost to them that cannot be sustained without some form of monetization (say maybe ads, or subscription costs....)

Looks like Apple has 10 datacenters in 9 regions. I remember reading an article years ago on how much just one of their data centers could hold storage wise and it was impressive. I can't quite find exactly how much storage capacity they have though.

Apple Data Center Locations, News, Photos, and Maps (baxtel.com)

It does sound like they are planning on adding even more.

Apple to Spend $10B on US Data Center Construction Over Five Years | Data Center Knowledge

I also laugh when people complain about free products that clearly have a huge backend cost to them that cannot be sustained without some form of monetization (say maybe ads, or subscription costs....)
I'm ok with this. I can't even imagine on what their power bills are like. But they never use to push so many ads. I'm ok with say 3 ads spots though a 10 minute video, but now it seems like it's every minute. I know like @jmanz said they are probably trying to bombard you with ads to force you to subscribe, but it just makes most people not watch the videos.

Companies want steady subscription based income. Ad revenue is unpredictable. Same with podcasts. A lot do their normal pods with increasing ad reads and then have an ad-free show for paying customers.

Strange, but after I complained they really have seem to let up lately. :LOL:

Back