Microsoft's Edge browser

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bye Bye IE, it has never been fun. (Netscape Navigator for life!). But it looks like they are going with a Chrome based version.

Microsoft is in the early stages of a project, codenamed “Anaheim”, that is currently slated to replace Microsoft Edge for Windows 10. Instead of continuing to use the company’s EdgeHTML engine, Anaheim will reportedly be built upon Chrome’s open source Blink engine.
Source

The strategy's three phases are:[11]

1. Embrace: Development of software substantially compatible with a competing product, or implementing a public standard.

2. Extend: Addition and promotion of features not supported by the competing product or part of the standard, creating interoperability problems for customers who try to use the 'simple' standard.

3. Extinguish: When extensions become a de facto standard because of their dominant market share, they marginalize competitors that do not or cannot support the new extensions.

Microsoft claims that the original strategy is not anti-competitive, but rather an exercise of its discretion to implement features it believes customers want.[12]

I think Microsoft improved with Edge, but the earlier versions left such a bad taste in everyone's mouths over all the years that people wouldn't even give it a chance. But it is hard to compete with Chrome and Firefox.

After a few days of rumors, Microsoft announced today that it's going to be using Chromium in its browser moving forward and that the new Edge will be coming to Windows 7, 8.1, and macOS. Now, Mozilla CEO Chris Beard has posted a response to the news, saying that it's bad for the internet.

Mozilla says that Microsoft's decision to use Chromium and the Blink rendering engine basically gives Google a monopoly on what we see on the internet. Remember, Chromium is the open-source browser that Google Chrome is based on, and other third-party browsers use it too, like Opera, Vivaldi, and more.

With Microsoft moving away from EdgeHTML, that's one less competitor in the browser space, growing Chromium's market share. Mozilla worries that when Chromium's usage share gets large enough, web developers won't test their apps against anything else, going so far as to compare this to when Microsoft had a monopoly in browsers in the early 2000s.

Mozilla also said that this is why it exists. "We compete with Google not because it’s a good business opportunity," Beard said. "We compete with Google because the health of the internet and online life depend on competition and choice."

You can play with the new chromium based version of Edge now. https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/I installed it and loaded a couple extensions from the chrome store. Will see if i keep using it or not...
It's nice to see Microsoft getting back in the game. I just feel like they feel out of the race when Firefox and Chrome went with extensions, that is when everyone jumped boat.

It's nice to see Microsoft getting back in the game. I just feel like they feel out of the race when Firefox and Chrome went with extensions, that is when everyone jumped boat.
Edge had extensions, just not as many available. They need to enable a darkmode option, or else get it so that themes work. You can definitely tell that this version of Edge and Chrome are both built using chromium

Well it looks like Edge pushed down with my last update here at work. It's not that bad actually. nice to see the extensions, the downside is it is still missing many. But way better than expected.

Well it looks like Edge pushed down with my last update here at work. It's not that bad actually. nice to see the extensions, the downside is it is still missing many. But way better than expected.
You've always had Edge in Win 10, so I'll assume you mean the new chromium based Edge. In which case, note that if you go to your extensions page, in the bottom left corner you can "Allow extensions from other stores" - then you can install any extension that you want from the chrome web extension store.

You've always had Edge in Win 10, so I'll assume you mean the new chromium based Edge. In which case, note that if you go to your extensions page, in the bottom left corner you can "Allow extensions from other stores" - then you can install any extension that you want from the chrome web extension store.
I did not know this, thanks @ndboarder ! What do you use by the way?

I ended up finding my addon in the list actually. I guess I just did not scroll enough down to the bottom. I'm digging it so far. Might try switching at home for awhile and see how it goes.

Liking it so far, some of my extensions are actually working better on this.

My only complaint so far is that I can have the new tab window display a page that I would like it to display when I click on the new tab function. You can customize Microsoft's page, but can't have it display you own. Any ideas @ndboarder ?

I use the new Edge for everything now. I used to use the old Edge + chrome, but no reason to use chrome now.

I had never noticed you can't set your choice of page for a new tab, because I guess usually I just want to open a new tab to search or go somewhere else, I have nothing I would want as a default page anymore.

Anyway, I looked into it, seems it requires an extension for now. Does seem a bit lame that it isn't a setting option though. https://www.howtogeek.com/659869/how-to-customize-microsoft-edges-new-tab-page/

They have some nice weather apps, way better than Firefox's.

Still using this browser, this is a nice weather app if anyone uses it or Chrome. Has a great weather radar.

https://weatherextension.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Edge is now doing themes.

Back