Ice ice baby

94 - 97 was some rough years in ND. I think it was Feb 3 '96 that the day time high was 31 below. Quite a few places around the state were 50 below zero that morning. The wind was howling too. Like my gandpappy would say, the wind cuts through you like shit through a tall Swede.
Ya, we have no humidity here, so we might get cold with some cold winds, but it still doesn't compare to back there.

94 - 97 was some rough years in ND. I think it was Feb 3 '96 that the day time high was 31 below. Quite a few places around the state were 50 below zero that morning. The wind was howling too. Like my gandpappy would say, the wind cuts through you like shit through a tall Swede.
I remember those years. We had a lot of school storm days. I believe they even had school on a couple Saturdays to make up days. I skipped those. @ndboarder do you remember that?

I recall some years with a lot of storm days.  Can't say I recall going on a Saturday for make up - maybe a vague recollection of such a thing but it was pretty much a sham where no one was really expected to be there, just a technicality.

I do recall that probably in that timeframe was a year we had a family ski vacation for a week or so.  To be out of school for that length required doing work up front, so I'd had my assignments from the time we'd be gone given to me well in advance, completed and turned them in.  We went on vacation and there was a storm to the degree that of the planned many days we would miss, we only actually missed a day or two of class.  It was a nice vacation, and when we got back it continued, because I ended up well ahead in classes so basically sat around and twiddled thumbs until the rest of the class caught up to what I'd already done.

That state is due for an old-fashioned winter like the old days. I know we had a few nasty ones when we lived there. But hearing the old timers talk the last 20 years or so have been gentle.
"That State"? Da f man?

This January weather kinda stinks. Here comes a long winter that may last us the rest of our next 6 months.

At least back to 50 degrees early next week. For here anyways.

January weather?  I haven't seen any -30 temps yet.  I haven't even put on more than a hooded sweatshirt to be outside yet.   

This actually seems more like November than the past many years.  I remember it seeming like more often than not we'd have to trick-or-treat in snow pants and winter coats growing up and in recent memory late October is still pretty mild

-5 here last night. I thought I saw some tall swedes out and about.

Hettinger, ND dropped down to -45F at 7:25 AM MST today. This appears to be one of the coldest, if not the coldest, recorded temperature on the planet today!
Source

I hear the distant sound of snowblowers. Sounds like some members got some cold temps and snow. We are almost completely melted off here. Even the hills are.

I hear the distant sound of snowblowers. Sounds like some members got some cold temps and snow. We are almost completely melted off here. Even the hills are.
That's unfortunate for you since you wanted to go sledding so bad.

That's unfortunate for you since you wanted to go sledding so bad.
We have these things over here called "mountains". If we really want to go we still can, best of both worlds. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about winter this morning. This has to be the easiest winter that I can remember. I have one tiny pile left in my yard and that's it everything is is melted and gone.

Has been a nice one. Although I remember a couple others within the last 10 years that were really nice too. Only had to use the snowblower once per winter for a couple of those.

Has been a nice one. Although I remember a couple others within the last 10 years that were really nice too. Only had to use the snowblower once per winter for a couple of those.
I can't really recall a rough winter in the past 10 years.  Maybe at the far end or a little over, like around 2007 - 2008.  Somewhere way back there I recall one winter with a whole lot of snow.  Most have been pretty mild in recent memory though

Got dumped on yesterday, got quite a bit as well. Really drifty here. Looks like winter again around here. We were bone dry before.

Snowed most of the day out yesterday, but because it was warmer it didn't accumulate to much. This week were suppose to warm up though so hopefully it will melt things off. Shoot Spring is only 15 days away. It felt more like Spring a month ago than it does now. Most of the other towns around us got it way worse so I can't complain to bad.

Supposed to get a foot here by the time it's all said and done tomorrow evening. I guess we were due. Pretty decent winter all things considered.

Back