Having to carry insurance

WayneKerr

Reaction score
I positively hate insurance, let me start by saying that.  *shrug*

Anyway, how do you pay for auto insurance? Per month? or 6 month at a time?  We just got quoted for a $153 discount if we payed the hole 6months.

It is not uncommon for companies to offer discounts if you pay either every 6 months, or yearly, especially on auto insurance.  Although I pay monthly, just have it taken out automatically.

It is not uncommon for companies to offer discounts if you pay either every 6 months, or yearly, especially on auto insurance.  Although I pay monthly, just have it taken out automatically.
Same here. You also get discounts for other things like house insurance, multiple vehicles, etc.

I pay monthly... can never afford the 6 month discounted payment.  I do get a discount for direct payments though.  Once my current policy expires I plan to switch to a policy with my home owners insurance company (this is paid yearly by the way) to get a discounted rate.  By that time I'll no longer need to file an SR-22 so I should be OK.

ccs729 is the insurance guru here folks.  Feel free to ask him many questions  ;-)  Monthly is how I pay as well.

I pay monthly also, I have it automatically deducted. 

I pay every 6 months and it's automatically deducted from my account.  I use to insure two vehicles with my pay every 6 months policy and it was cheaper to insure two vehicles than it was to just insure one because of the discount I received (doesn't seem right I know).  I had my old car with liability only insurance listed as my primary vehicle, and my newer-better vehicle insured with full coverage listed as my secondary vehicle with full coverage.  It was cheaper to insure them that way than to simply have my better vehicle insured with full coverage and not insure the older one at all.... :smt017  Of course, I drove the better vehicle 100% of the time, and never drove the "primary" vehicle.  Why wouldn't I drive the one with full coverage, duh.....  Those insurance policies are so dumb...

Upon purchasing a new vehicle my insurance was jacked from 50/ month to 125/month.  I figured it would go up, although not 150%.  So I did some shopping around, and found a guy who could insure my car, another vehicle (liability only), and a small renter policy for less than the 125/month.  He also lowered my deductibles, and increased my liability, which was just at minimum level.

He also mentioned that if it were not for the at-fault accident last May, he could have done even better.  Here's the problem, I had no at fault accident last May!  My car was hit and ran, but my former insurance company reported it as at fault.  Gee how nice!  So I went to the local police to get a copy of the police report, and the officer checked my record, and nothing on DMV that said anything about an at fault accident-leaving only the insurance company to blame. 

I got it taken care of and received an even lower rate from them.  The lesson however is you cannot trust anybody, one would think the insurance companies would do some kind of double checking when they send out rate increases, esp huge rate increases that are out of the usual.  I would urge people to shop around for insurance every couple of years, just to keep them honest, and to be sure there are no surprises on that record.  Who knows, you may even find a better deal than what you currently have.

Upon purchasing a new vehicle my insurance was jacked from 50/ month to 125/month.  I figured it would go up, although not 150%.  So I did some shopping around, and found a guy who could insure my car, another vehicle (liability only), and a small renter policy for less than the 125/month.  He also lowered my deductibles, and increased my liability, which was just at minimum level.He also mentioned that if it were not for the at-fault accident last May, he could have done even better.  Here's the problem, I had no at fault accident last May!  My car was hit and ran, but my former insurance company reported it as at fault.  Gee how nice!  So I went to the local police to get a copy of the police report, and the officer checked my record, and nothing on DMV that said anything about an at fault accident-leaving only the insurance company to blame. 
I got it taken care of and received an even lower rate from them.  The lesson however is you cannot trust anybody, one would think the insurance companies would do some kind of double checking when they send out rate increases, esp huge rate increases that are out of the usual.  I would urge people to shop around for insurance every couple of years, just to keep them honest, and to be sure there are no surprises on that record.  Who knows, you may even find a better deal than what you currently have.
Sounds like a nice deal, glad things worked out. Almost like a credit report, you never know what might be on it.

I pay for my insurance quarterly.  My insurance was reduced significantly after I got married, and again after I turned 25 and again after I purchased 'family' vehicles.

So my advice for the best insurance values: Get old, get married, have kids, get a van. :p

Like I said in the other post, I hate insurance.  But for pete's sake, why should my homeowners quote be more for a house built before 1950?  And can't we have some understanding since it was built in 1948? 

Where those 2 years in the building code so revolutionary as to make it such a definite cut off point?

It is retarded. I mean you basically are just gambling with your money.

Back