Looking for new router

Switched back to Merlin Firmware this morning. Think I will stick with it.
Merlin firmware on an Asus router?

I thought we already talked about this before?https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/
Yeah, I'm familiar with Merlin for the Asus routers.... Just that you know your last post in here prior to "I switched back to Merlin"  was all about your AirPort or whatever the Apple router is (or was I guess) called

Yeah, I'm familiar with Merlin for the Asus routers.... Just that you know your last post in here prior to "I switched back to Merlin"  was all about your AirPort or whatever the Apple router is (or was I guess) called
Nah once I found out they discontinued working on the router line, I returned it. I didn't want to get stuck with an obsolete product.

I've been using my cheap TP-Link AC router that I bought on Amazon's one day sale. It's been working great. I think all these expensive routers are kinda overrated.

I've been using my cheap TP-Link AC router that I bought on Amazon's one day sale. It's been working great. I think all these expensive routers are kinda overrated.
Insert all the notsureifserious.jpgs.gifs. here.

Well just ordered myself up a new one:

Synology  rt2600ac

I really like how they release patches for vulnerabilities all the time. It's not like a normal router where they release maybe 2 updates in it's lifetime. This one has about 2 per month.

heading.png

content_filtering_01.jpg

Linksys WRT54GL for life! 
I still have two myself. I think one has Tomato on it, the other DD-WRT. You would be surprised on how many still use them.

That Synology looks and sounds awesome.

I haven't mentioned to anyone but boarder when I got it a while back but I went with a Eero 2nd gen:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713ZCT4N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy to setup and works great. I get wireless speeds that nearly match my wired connection speeds when testing from my iphone from pretty much anywhere in my house. I know it's spendy and could have gone cheaper with an extender but I hear so many saying to never go with an extender.

I haven't mentioned to anyone but boarder
You never tell me anything anymore. :( I have been trying to read how it is more different than a range extender and I can't quite figure it out. It just seems like basically two range extenders using your homes wiring.

You never tell me anything anymore. :(I have been trying to read how it is more different than a range extender and I can't quite figure it out. It just seems like basically two range extenders using your homes wiring.
I know man I'm sorry. You are just so busy being dad and working it's so different. I'll do better I promise.Yeah I guess basically an expensive range extender system but so many say true mesh like this is better. What I really wanted was 2 Ubiquiti Pro APs but didn't want to run wires and all that.

You never tell me anything anymore. :(I have been trying to read how it is more different than a range extender and I can't quite figure it out. It just seems like basically two range extenders using your homes wiring.
Mesh networks are supposed to be better at device hand offs for one.  With wired range extenders, you really kind of just have 3 wireless networks with the same name as far as a device is concerned.  Your device connects to one of the APs but if you leave range and it has to switch it may cause a loss of network.   The mesh devices are supposed to communicate with one another and devices to eliminate any issues with hand off from one AP to another - also the mesh devices may have more influence on when that change happens than on when the wifi device does.Mesh isn't new - but is new in the consumer/home space.  I've been in my current job for over 11 years, I spent a couple before this at the previous gig and it was the gig prior to that in which a couple times I was installing and setting up mesh wireless in hotels.

So basically @ndboarder you are saying that a mesh network removes the end of the wi-fi fence where you would have to hop over the fence to the other side, where a mesh network is just one large field.

So basically @ndboarder you are saying that a mesh network removes the end of the wi-fi fence where you would have to hop over the fence to the other side, where a mesh network is just one large field.
Yes, good analogy.  That is pretty much what it is supposed to do for you as far as I understand it.

Loving the router still, set up a VPN this morning on my iPhone within minutes. 

Apparently Synology is releasing WPA3 with a firmware update soon, I won't even have to buy a new router. :cool:

Actually I might wait until you upgrade yours and buy your old one. Should only have to wait a few more weeks. ;)
No I love mine. Plus I heard in an upcoming update it will support WPA3.

Back