Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Car Waxing

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So for some reason I love waxing a vehicle. I don't know why, but I find it relaxing. You wait for the sun to start to go down at that perfect hour in the evening and then you put some tunes on and rub away. I like the feeling it gives my hands when the pain is smooth. Anyways. I cleaned my truck the other day and I thought to myself while it's clean I should wax it. I normally use Meguiars Gold wax which is a carnauba wax. I have always had good luck in the past and still think it's a great product. But I saw on the shelf the other day the classic Turtle Wax and thought "why not". It's cheap and an old school wax.I tried both on a small spot and both seem to be about the same so I went ahead with the Turtle Wax this time. It's actually a great product for as cheap as it is. Which wax do you guys prefer? I wouldn't mind picking up another clay bar system again. If you really want your paint clean you should try one of these. You would be surprised how many impurities are embedded in your paint over time.  As a test run your hand over your paint next time and if it's not as smooth as glass or has little bumps in it the impurities are embedded. When you get done waxing you should be able to throw a micro fiber cloth on the hood and it should freely slide down by itself.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I tried out my new buffer last night. Bought a foam head and some micro fiber bonnets for it. I don't think I have quite the right setup but it works. It really did save me some time. In one evening I got done with two evenings worth. Should be able to finish tonight. It is nice with the slow start, and being able to change your RPMs is nice also. There is a skill to it though. I also think my wax is a very hard shell wax when it dries. I think with a carnauba wax it would be alot better to remove. This is one of those tools though that is so well built that it will last you your lifetime.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I think I might try some of this stuff out. Seems kinda neat, I remember seeing a bottle in my parents garage awhile back.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Did a little test patch using the Nu Finish stuff and was quite impressed. Think I am going to do our other vehicle with this.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
We have had a lot of rain lately here and I thought I would chime in and mention on how well this stuff has held up. Way better than the Turtle Wax stuff that I did on my truck.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
While not really car, I started waxing my bosses boat for him yesterday. (I have always wanted to wax a boat). Let's just say that he doesn't take very good care of it. This is probably the first wax job he has had since he purchased it. So it had tons of hard water spots. I started with a hand wash, then followed by pure white vinegar, which is acidic and would probably strip any wax that it had left on it which was none. Then I used the clay bar system on it, followed by pure carnauba wax. You should see the life that was brought back into the paint, it has a nice deep blue color now. The top was so oxidized that you couldn't even see the blue pin striping under it, it just looked white. I must say I love that clay bar system. Works wonders. Feels like glass.