Nintendo Switch

You spend $500 to $1000 to play WoW, I spend $400 to play Zelda.
I thought you got the new Just Dance instead. What a great game for one of their opening titles! This console is going to get huge!

I thought you got the new Just Dance instead. What a great game for one of their opening titles! This console is going to get huge!
All about that cow milking actually.

Haven't played a video game in years, but buying this just for Zelda. Girlfriend will be leaving me shortly after...

...also id like my status reset to member since 2006 and can I get my original avatar?

Haven't played a video game in years, but buying this just for Zelda. Girlfriend will be leaving me shortly after......also id like my status reset to member since 2006 and can I get my original avatar?
I show you as being a member since 2004, what did you mean here? I don't have original avatars from back in the day and would need to be re-uploaded. I uploaded a new one for you, but you may change it under your user options as you please.

I show you as being a member since 2004, what did you mean here? I don't have original avatars from back in the day and would need to be re-uploaded. I uploaded a new one for you, but you may change it under your user options as you please.
Oh ok perfect, my profile settings says joined in 2014. I'll hunt down a new avi

Oh ok perfect, my profile settings says joined in 2014. I'll hunt down a new avi
Sorry I misunderstood. I fixed your join date.But back on topic, your are going to get a Switch just for Zelda?

Last edited by a moderator:
But back on topic, your are going to get a Switch just for Zelda?
Most people that buy a Switch will buy it just for some exclusives.  Though honestly I'm starting to think the Switch will fail miserably.  At launch there's maybe 2 games worth playing - Zelda and Mario Kart.  Zelda will be on Wii U, and Mario Kart already is (the one coming to Switch is a port with some add on junk from what I understand).  Zelda on the Switch is NOT going to be 1080p, so it seems it is the same game that's on Wii U.So first, why would anyone with a Wii U buy a Switch right away?  Yeah, sure you can play the thing as a mobile handheld, but battery life doesn't sound very good in that use case.

Second, if Zelda isn't 1080p are they just being lazy and not making a better port for the Switch, or is the console that limited on power?  If it's the latter how will they ever get 3rd parties to make games for this when they've already lost that struggle on the past couple consoles?  If third parties won't put most AAA released on this, how will they sell consoles to anyone that isn't a die hard fan that just absolutely has to play the latest Zelda or Mario Kart (that don't already own a Wii U to play them on)?

Third, no streaming apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc) - at least at launch - so it is good for very little compared to other consoles and is restricted to a limited group of die hard fans and those that really want to play the new exclusives that don't already own the other Nintendo console that can play the same exclusives

Fourth, accessory prices are nuts.  Comes with a grip for the Joy-Con, but not one that charges - gotta pay extra for that.  Want a "normal" gaming controller (you know in case there are some non-exclusive AAA titles that would work better with it) - pay another $70 or $90 (I don't remember) for the semi-normal looking controller. 

Also, forgot the "casual" or kid gamer market it's mostly targeted at.  Kids don't have disposable income.  18+ is the age they need to at least include in targets, which goes back to having something 3rd parties can easily launch the same games they make for PS and Xbox.  The more casual market is going to be lost to phone/tablet games.

Last edited by a moderator:
All very good points above.

the biggest ding for me is the lack of streaming apps. I have an XBox One in the living room that I run Netflix, Hulu, VUDU, NFL Sunday Ticket, and HBO Now on...I'm completely cable service/dish free and as I mentioned before have gotten older and devoid of free time where "gaming" has hit the chopping block.

my initial thought after just learning about the Switch today (I'm out of the loop) was to replace the old Xbox360 I'm running in the bedroom for streaming apps and simultaneously trick my girlfriend into some  Zelda and Mariokart time. So hopefully they add streaming apps later on.

I'm as "casual" as a gamer as it gets (none?) so I'm sure I'm not the target demographic, but don't really care about the video quality or battery life etc...ill be buying one mostly based on the "cool toy" concept and it combines my original favorite toys: Nintendo and Transformer

I pre ordered 1 with copies of Zelda because new tech and have money I suppose. Thing is I am also feeling like it's just another flop from Nintendo.

First off they need a pack in game. Why have a "gimmick" like the joy cons without something to use them on? 1-2 switch looks like trash and should not be sold separate. THe Wii had Wii SPorts which was actually a really good game to come with.

Second the launch lineup is terrible. Mario needed to be a launch game with Zelda. They also need Metroid and a big one at that. 

Lastly need more games being pumped out all the time. They also need to be good games for all age groups and genres. RPGs, sports and everything else.

Nintendo also falls behind on things like a good online service and other things all the other systems offer.

I know Nintendo is different and some things don't need to be like MS or Sony but with things as they are now it's not good in my opinion.

seems like if they could just offer their games in 1080p and with streaming apps it would be enough of a compromise (which doesn't seem like that much of a stretch) - nintendo doesn't seem to be with the times from what I've read here

seems like if they could just offer their games in 1080p and with streaming apps it would be enough of a compromise (which doesn't seem like that much of a stretch) - nintendo doesn't seem to be with the times from what I've read here
Truth be told I don't mind if the power of the system and graphics are not like what a PC, Sony or MS offers. I want games and good ones at that. I'd be happy(but seems too many others these days don't) an old school Final Fantasy, side scrolling "Metroidvania" style Metroid and Castlevania and other games that I enjoyed playing.

I pre ordered 1 with copies of Zelda because new tech and have money I suppose. Thing is I am also feeling like it's just another flop from Nintendo.
Ya but someone like you that is a serious collector, it's more about the passion of the machines anyways. Doesn't matter if you play it or not.

Ya but someone like you that is a serious collector, it's more about the passion of the machines anyways. Doesn't matter if you play it or not.
Yeah should have mentioned that biggest reason is my love of games and being a collector.

Also I failed to mention, have all of you seen the Zelda gameplay trailer?? After growing up on this franchise, I'd probably be willing to drop $300 on just that alone....which brings up another point, regardless of all other specs, capabilities and competitive comparisons: there's a fortune to be made on nostalgia. It's the reason the biggest blockbusters are often reboots.

Also I failed to mention, have all of you seen the Zelda gameplay trailer?? After growing up on this franchise, I'd probably be willing to drop $300 on just that alone....which brings up another point, regardless of all other specs, capabilities and competitive comparisons: there's a fortune to be made on nostalgia. It's the reason the biggest blockbusters are often reboots.
Trailers and actual game play are two different things. Don't get me wrong some delivery but mainly on a PC format with a high end system. I have me doubts with the Switch. I mean thing of the battery power alone to run those graphics. Maybe, maybe plugged in, but if you think you are going portable and are going to be playing that for a couple of hours you go another thing coming. You better watch the video above and see what I mean. I hope it does well but I think it will be a hype train and once people get it after a couple of months, that train is going to de-rail.

Nintendo pulled the Wii U off the Nintendo store and now has replaced it with the Switch. What is your take, do you feel like the Wii U was a flop?

Nintendo pulled the Wii U off the Nintendo store and now has replaced it with the Switch. What is your take, do you feel like the Wii U was a flop?
I wouldn't call it a complete flop but it never lived up to expectations and was "killed off" quite early. I mean it still had great games and the gamepad is pretty cool especially if you want to game while someone uses the tv so it's almost a handheld as well. So it's in the middle of not bad and not great.

I'd say the Wii U was pretty much a flop. Really the Switch is just a refinement of the Wii U though.  The Wii U had a base station (primary console) and the game pad you could play on remotely from that console.  The Switch is the same thing, except the console is the gamepad, now it just has a dock to play on the TV when you want or need to because your battery died.  I think I read somewhere that playing Zelda you might get 3 hours of battery out of it playing off the dock.

The dock also seems to just be a stand with a USB-C connection and port replicator.  Additional docks go for $50 (IIRC), so there can't be anything extra in there to do additional graphics processing or anything.

Also, on some other comments. I don't know that Nintendo needs to make their games 1080p, but the console does need to support at least 1080p.  The competition is moving closer and closer to 4K.  In the end if Mario isn't 1080p, most people don't care (I don't either).  If I can only have one console though, and I want to play all the games of interest, the Switch needs to be powerful enough to run 3rd party titles.  Most 3rd parties aren't going to want to do all the work to support something with lower capabilities and a small user base (like the Wii U). 

If this thing barely does 1080p, it's more like the PS3 or 360, which developers are dropping support for - there are newer more powerful consoles with bigger user base and developing to accommodate something with lower power means you have to compromise on content and capabilities so the less powerful console can do the same thing as the more powerful ones.  There have been a number of games that were on both 360 and X1 where the X1 version was limited so the 360 could play the game as well - if the devs chose to implement something only the X1 could handle, then 360 support had to end for that game.  Developing to support the Switch if it is less powerful will hurt players elsewhere, so most would ignore it.  

At this point this is mostly speculation I guess, since I've not seen actual specs or what it is capable of doing.  We just know that some launch titles aren't 1080p - but those titles are also on Wii U, so basically shows my above point about developing to support a less powerful system harming the audience on more powerful systems.

Back