Lets discuss Barbecuers

Guess I mentioned this a while back already, but my WiFi meat thermometer gets delivered today.  Finally.https://www.lokiproducts.com
Now I need to pick something up to try the thing out
Let me know how it works, still considering one since mine has a spot for it.

Let me know how it works, still considering one since mine has a spot for it.
Will be interesting to see how the hardware is and how it works with the app.  Primarily I like this one because it is WiFi so can monitor from any range and not needing to be basically at the grill anyway with the standalone wireless ones or the BlueTooth ones that work with apps that most companies have done.

I really need to break out and cook something. I talked to another guy today that has one, said he just cooked a ham on his.

I really need to break out and cook something. I talked to another guy today that has one, said he just cooked a ham on his.
Did you tell him that yours is primarily for hot dogs?

Did you tell him that yours is primarily for hot dogs?
I did actually lol.

That kamado is a decent brand and would be pretty good.  Costco has it's big brother (green egg essentially) on sale for $450 ($100 off)

4247[/ATTACH]"]9oa6630.jpg
Was that yours? Did you get to try out your sensor?
9oa6630.jpg

Was that yours? Did you get to try out your sensor?
Yes and yes.  Cooked the brisket on their for 14 hours or so, but then it was wrapped in foil, a towel and laid in a cooler for another 4 hours to finish up afterwards.  Turned out excellent, as always.The Loki thermometer worked well.  I had another one in it as well and they were within a couple degrees of one another and may have both been accurate at that since they weren't in the exact same spot.  It was very nice to just pull up my phone and see the current meat temp and air temp without having to walk out to the grill every time.

Well I will be over for dinner later then. Wait till @jmanz see this, he will be salivating.

I'm getting antsy to break out my Traeger here soon. I keep seeing it in my garage. I plan on using it a lot more this year. Plus I plan on getting a meat thermometer this year as well. Now the only thing I need is for @jmanz to get over here to give me support to do it.

You could start right now. The father in law proved that they (Traeger) will do well in -20 degrees.

I still can't believe after all this time that old Scrooge Mcduck (you) still doesn't have one. There is no reason that I do and you don't.

I still can't believe after all this time that old Scrooge Mcduck (you) still doesn't have one. There is no reason that I do and you don't.
Soon me boy, soon.

You can use some of them in any weather condition. A lot of the pellet grills have insulated blanket things you can get to allow use in very cold temps.

I am tempted by pellet grills a bit for their simplicity. Anyone considering one should look into Green Mountain grills. Most of the pellet grill owners I know moved to these or suggest them over their own traegers.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/

I checked their website out. They seem to be just like the Traegers, but dam they aren't that much cheaper. I have been noticing a lot of barbecue companies starting to produce knock-offs now. They basically do all the same. I guess it would be the ease of coming across accessories for them. One thing about Traegers is you can walk into about any store and find official parts for them. Basically the Iphone of the barbecue world.

I checked their website out. They seem to be just like the Traegers, but dam they aren't that much cheaper. I have been noticing a lot of barbecue companies starting to produce knock-offs now. They basically do all the same. I guess it would be the ease of coming across accessories for them. One thing about Traegers is you can walk into about any store and find official parts for them. Basically the Iphone of the barbecue world.
Nah man, the iPhone of the barbeque world is Weber. I check traegergrills.com and greenmountain.com the price of low/medium end grills on one site is similar in price to the top end on the other. Doesn't mean there's anythign wrong with your grill, but also doesn't mean you have to think there's no better choice than the one you made for other people
Most I know that chose the green mountain did so because they are a thicker material, though you still need the thermal cover for below zero use, and because of included features like the app control/check in stuff built into them

I've looked at the Green Mountain selection online before but don't know anyone that has one. I've heard good things about Pit Boss too. They are on the lower end of the price scale. I haven't seen one in action though.

Back