Call 911, Get Murdered

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
I wish they would go back to being peace officers and stop being scared of their shadows while they are at it. 

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I read that if you have the permit, you are not required to mention it to the officer.
Oh well this makes a big difference. I forgot you don't need a permit there. So I guess I am ok with them informing the officer. I thought it meant with the permit. With the permit you should never have to.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
I don't think we should have to inform them if you factor in the fifth amendment. Technically you don't have to answer any questions or make any statements. 

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I don't think we should have to inform them if you factor in the fifth amendment. Technically you don't have to answer any questions or make any statements. 
I agree, but at least you get to carry with a permit, that is better than even here. I agree with the fifth, if we could live in a perfect world then you wouldn't have to say anything. But I guess you should be thankful for what you get this day and age.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
I would argue that they consider asserting your constitutional rights as disrespectful. For example "right to remain silent" is seen as hindering investigation. "uncooperative" Anytime they stop you they are looking for incriminating materials. Staying silent is in your best defense along with no consent to search. Also, audio and video recordings are a must. When there is policing for profit, the rules have changed. See civil asset forfeiture. They use those monies to fund their operations. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say,"

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Unless you are in Minneapolis? 
Perhaps location is something to take in consideration. Know your community and the officers if possible. Or at least what you can and can't get by with. Small town USA can be very different than big city. Longmire has a gentler touch than the Minneapolis officer in question ;)

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
This is kinda off subject, but this weekend I went hiking with my sister. Surprisingly we ran into a few other hikers/fishermen out in the middle of nowhere. What I found interesting besides the friendliness of everyone, was how everyone was open carrying including myself. It was a cool feeling, no one really cared either. Most of them were women as well. It gave me a glimpse of what a true America could be like if everyone could open carry at all times, no one would think it was strange.