Lets discuss Barbecuers

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I am in the market for a new Barbecue. My little one while it is great for about two people is starting to become to small for living over here. So I am out of touch on everything. I see the trend now is the Traegers, which are a pellet stove of sorts. I was also looking at a Oklahoma Joes as well, which seem to be a smoker? I guess neither are these are gas powered. Any experience with either?

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOMNEW/fetch/FetchRules/Rich_Content/205708560-1920-8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Oklahoma Joes looks and the ruggedness of it, but it seems like a lot of work to get the fire going. The Treager is like a push button operation.

The wood pellet outfits like you posted above are great for chicken, pork loin, brisket......stuff like that when you have time to cook fairly slow. They aren't exactly ideal for the quick stuff like hotdogs, burgers and steaks. My in laws have a Traeger and the food tastes amazing off of them. Steep price for those buggers though. I don't personally know anyone who has the Oklahoma Joe's. I think they have a pretty good reputation. It almost seems like I heard they were bought out recently by someone though?

Last year I picked up a new Charbroil gas grill from Lowe's. It was a couple hundred bucks. Nothing fancy, does the job. I would be lying though if I didn't envision a Traeger someday. Or a smoker of some sort for ribs and brisket.

Ya I am looking at the Traegers all morning watching videos on how they work etc. By far the easiest solution for a smoker/cooker. But them dam prices on them! The pellets don't seem bad and a bag someone said on a video will last 10-15 hours. I agree with you for a fast cooking time. But it seems like my gas grills always get so greasy, I wonder if the smoke would keep it more dry and not be so greasy all the time? My little boy is a Charbroil also and I have enjoyed it, it's just time to move up.

Ya I am looking at the Traegers all morning watching videos on how they work etc. By far the easiest solution for a smoker/cooker. But them dam prices on them! The pellets don't seem bad and a bag someone said on a video will last 10-15 hours. I agree with you for a fast cooking time. But it seems like my gas grills always get so greasy, I wonder if the smoke would keep it more dry and not be so greasy all the time? My little boy is a Charbroil also and I have enjoyed it, it's just time to move up.
I don't believe grease is a problem on the Traegers. My father in law also puts some foil down below to collect some of the run off, especially from the chicken to keep it clean. I've never had such good chicken from anywhere before. That alone makes me want to buy one.

This guy does a good run down on how it works etc. I would like to get one with a stack though. They are the PRO models I believe. I see some even have built in thermal probes to sense your meat temps. Insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyQ1LCeVHU

They have quite an assortment of various flavors of wood pallets. They give you a recipe book telling you which kind to buy for what type of meat you are cooking. With the Traegers I mean.

Do you know does i have to have power run to it? I mean for the hopper to run and the circulation fan? I haven't seen anyone mention it but it would make sense.

Do you know does i have to have power run to it? I mean for the hopper to run and the circulation fan? I haven't seen anyone mention it but it would make sense.
Yes I am pretty certain of that.

Ideally a person who likes to grill should have two options. One gas grill for the quick stuff and a smoker or charcoal for the slow cook varieties. Especially if you are hosting family for example......throwing a good sized pork loin on for a few hours will feed lots of people.

Well after researching all day the Treager is probably my best option or a old standard gas grill. I like the looks of the Oklahoma Joe one though.

Well after researching all day the Treager is probably my best option or a old standard gas grill. I like the looks of the Oklahoma Joe one though.
Are the Oklahoma Joe's pellets or charcoal only?

People really like their Traegers.  Personally I have a Weber Genesis (gas) for fast things like burgers, brats and hot dogs.  I have a green egg (charcoal) for everything else.  Awesome steaks.  Good for smoking.  Love doing a brisket on it for 18+ hours

Are the Oklahoma Joe's pellets or charcoal only?
No pellets charcoal only.

I have a green egg (charcoal) for everything else.
I looked into these as well. I just don't have the patience for it to heat up.

People really like their Traegers.  Personally I have a Weber Genesis (gas) for fast things like burgers, brats and hot dogs.  I have a green egg (charcoal) for everything else.  Awesome steaks.  Good for smoking.  Love doing a brisket on it for 18+ hours
I bet that Genesis is nice too.

Have you thought about infra-red cookers? Those can make up tasty pork chops. 

Have you thought about infra-red cookers? Those can make up tasty pork chops. 
My current grill is a infrared grill.

Looked at some Treagers up close and personal today. They had the one I wanted, but not at $699 o_O

Well I was a bad boy today. Found out our closest Costco was have a Treager rep traveling though. So we drove two hours after church and I ended up picking one up. I ended up gong with the larger one. It's way more money but way larger and sit up properly. Plus has a bigger hopper, second try etc. It's a Costco exclusive. Also got a cook book, grill cover, chicken seasoning for free. Plus an extra year warranty since I purchased though Costco. Picked up two bag of pellets as well. Happy Fathers day to me! Now if I only had time to set it up *sigh.

?profileId=12026540&id=798308&recipeId=728.jpg

Features:

• 572 sq. in. Cooking Surface

• Digital Elite Controller with LED display maintains precise temperature, just like your oven

• Fueled by 100% pure hardwood pellets. Real wood, Real Flavor

• All-new Traeger patented warming drawer

• Hopper clean-out

• Extra grill rack

• Bottom shelf storage

• Electronic auto-start ignition

• Versatility to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and BBQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Back