DNA testing kits

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I have been wanting to make a post on this topic for awhile now. These are starting to get more and more popular. You have multiple companies selling them. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding them. They like to market them a "find our your family history" or "find out if you have certain types of health genes". I will admit they are tempting. I think there is something inside of all of us that like to know where we came from. I actually helped a older co-worker who's family member bought him one do it. It was simple, create an online account, register the DNA kit, and spit in a test tube and put in a prepaid shipping label and a few weeks later log back in and print out your results. But is there something else at play here? I know there are a lot of insurances companies that want to get their hands on your DNA so that they can say it was a pre-existing condition etc. But what about a more sinister plot behind these? Is it the same as the Facebook idea? Where you freely give your information out and pictures for other firms to keep data on you like the F.B.I etc.? I mean they market it so well, but are they freely wanting you to give up your DNA in exchange for something else? I have always thought this from the first time I saw them hit the market. Now look what came out today:

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-dna-fbi-familytreedna-20190201-story.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Coworker got one of these last year. I helped him send it off. It was a neat report that you got. I would like to do one, but only if they could guarantee my data would remain safe and not be sold off. He did the 23and me kit.

Coworker got one of these last year. I helped him send it off. It was a neat report that you got. I would like to do one, but only if they could guarantee my data would remain safe and not be sold off. He did the 23and me kit.
I would never believe anything to be guaranteed, if not in the near future, it will eventually be exposed later. I wouldn’t be surprised if medical facilities take your common blood samples to get the dna off it to go into a database to mark anyone as they want for future purposes.

FE7D10C7-C99C-48AC-B49D-A39820C6631C.jpeg

Back