Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Big green egg smoker

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
I've heard great things about these. As I was grilling steaks last night, I was thinking about that.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
So many old "grilling" related topics I could bump.  Guess this one makes most sense.  Picked up a BGE over the weekend.  Did a steak on it the other night, will need to use it a couple more times for lower heat items.  The gasket (felt looking stuff around the rim) is stuck on during dealer/user assembly, so they want the first few uses to stay < 350 degrees to help it fully adhere and prevent damage to it.

Hoping to try it out as a smoker on something or another this coming weekend.  Once I've had a few lower temp grill/smoker session with it, I want to try it as a pizza kiln since it is supposed to be excellent (egg-cellent?) for that as well.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So many old "grilling" related topics I could bump.  Guess this one makes most sense.  Picked up a BGE over the weekend.  Did a steak on it the other night, will need to use it a couple more times for lower heat items.  The gasket (felt looking stuff around the rim) is stuck on during dealer/user assembly, so they want the first few uses to stay < 350 degrees to help it fully adhere and prevent damage to it.

Hoping to try it out as a smoker on something or another this coming weekend.  Once I've had a few lower temp grill/smoker session with it, I want to try it as a pizza kiln since it is supposed to be excellent (egg-cellent?) for that as well.
They are suppose to be awesome. I hope you enjoy it. There is a store nearby that sells them. I would like to try a pizza on them.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
They are suppose to be awesome. I hope you enjoy it. There is a store nearby that sells them. I would like to try a pizza on them.
Plan to do some grilling on it tomorrow, most likely just some burgers or something simple since it will be after work.   Probably Thursday as well.  Hoping to pick up some pork butt to try smoking on Saturday and see if I can do some pulled pork type of meal.  After all of that it should be plenty of lower temp cooking to ensure the gasket is well adhered and ready to go, so Sunday I am hoping to do some pizza cooking on it.

Will have to get back up to one of the dealers in the next couple days to pick up a couple things for it.  Want to grab an ash tool, some more charcoal since it holds a lot at a time, some of their natural charcoal starters, the ceramic insert for doing indirect cooking (needed for smoking) and some smoking chips/chunks of wood.  They have another nice attachment that will control the internal temp of the thing for you, but I'll hold off on that for a while since it's like 300 and I've spent plenty on it already.

On the charcoal topic - the thing holds what seemed to be about 10 lbs of charcoal at a time.  There's a "fire ring" in it that they want to you to completely fill with charcoal.  Can't use lighter fluid or briquettes in it (or shouldn't at least) - lighter fluid will get into the porous ceramic and effect the flavor of food and such for a long time if you do use it, briquettes have chemicals of their own and are generally low grade charcoal that won't burn as long or as hot.  100% pure lump charcoal (which is best for any charcoal grill anyhow).  You light your charcoal with their natural starters, an electric starter, or I used a charcoal chimney the last time - then just let it go. 

When you're done cooking shut the vents and let it smother the burning coals, so you don't burn 10lbs of charcoal each time, just burn what you need for the cooking session and next time you top it off.

Can't wait to fail at smoking some meats

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Egg got a workout last weekend.  Few steaks and such earlier last week.  Picked up a large brisket Wednesday, coated it with salt and tossed it the fridge until late Thursday night.  Injected it with some beef stock, put a seasoning rub on it and right around midnight put it on the egg, kept the temp low and had some hickory chunks in for smoke.  Cooked from then until around 6:30pm or so Friday evening.  Earlier in the afternoon I had double wrapped it in foil.  After taking it off the grill wrapped it in a towel and tossed it in a cooler to hold the temp.  Brought up the grill heat and did some potatoes and vegetables.  Brisket was excellent, turned out better than I had hoped.  

Saturday had many to feed as well.  Started the day off with a 4-5 hour low and slow smoking of some jalapeno poppers, then raised the temp again to start dinner.  Did a pork chop, a few tilapia fillets and 8 ribeye steaks on it that night.  With those all being faster cooks and not easily kept warm after cooking without getting overdone, I used the weber gas grill to do the potatoes and corn on the cob so everything was done at about the same time.