MS SQL question

Davidc

Reaction score
Can a guy run MS SQL 2014 Standard in a global compatibility mode for 2012 R2 for a product that wants to create it's own database's and doesn't understand some of the newer query language?

Are you saying it couldn't work on a newer MS SQL?  I'd be a bit surprised if the product wouldn't run on 2016, assuming it just queries it's own database.  It may not make use of new features.  You might just have to put the particular database in a compatibility mode for SQL 2014 or 2012 or whatever.

Maybe I misunderstand the question - what is "global compatibility mode" - you mean like for trying to run old programs on a newer OS?  Isn't Server 2012 R2 a supported OS for SQL 2014 (I'm pretty sure it is from what I can find of 2014's system requirements)

Are you saying it couldn't work on a newer MS SQL?  I'd be a bit surprised if the product wouldn't run on 2016, assuming it just queries it's own database.  It may not make use of new features.  You might just have to put the particular database in a compatibility mode for SQL 2014 or 2012 or whatever.Maybe I misunderstand the question - what is "global compatibility mode" - you mean like for trying to run old programs on a newer OS?  Isn't Server 2012 R2 a supported OS for SQL 2014 (I'm pretty sure it is from what I can find of 2014's system requirements)
We have old program that doesn't like the layout of 2014 MS SQL database layouts (and newly added statements or deprecated ones?). I have set the default databases that come with 2014 to 2012 compatibility mode. We'll give er another go. So when installing the program, it's going to create it's own new databases with tables etc. (audit database, etc)

Ah, ok, so you are looking to run the SQL product compatibility stuff, not make it compatible with the OS.  Do you know what version of SQL your program supports? 

If it isn't going to be extremely heavily used maybe you could still find a SQL Express with advanced tools install of an older SQL version.  Express is free, but does have limitations on memory usage  and database size limits

Yeh the product supports up to MS SQL 2012 R2. They claim that Express editions won't work. The outfit that sold us MS SQL 2014 Standard claimed it was identical to 2012 R2. I see studio comes with the standard edition which is really nice. 

Product seems to be working with 2014 standard. Set the all the default databases to 2012 compatibility mode. The product is a bloated beast.

SAL is bloated, or the thing using it

The thing using SQL is the bloated beast. SQL 2014 seems well designed and smooth running.

The thing using SQL is the bloated beast. SQL 2014 seems well designed and smooth running.
Well, SQL does fairly well - but it will eat every bit of memory it can get, so wondered which.  The memory use is by design though, cranks up as high as it can get and holds on to as much as the garbage collection will let it to keep query performance going - not that memory on its own is a solution to optimized queries and indexing....

Back