Best wireless router out there?

ndboarder

Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to see what people prefer as a wireless router. I know the helpdesk boys might reply with "there is no good wireless router", but at any rate, I have a linksys which I hadn't used in about a year and now when i put it back to use it locks up constantly and isn't letting some traffic through to my server.

I always liked linksys, but of all the people I've known to own their routers they seem to crap out after a year or so.

D-Link my boy....they work well on our OSI anyways......I will be testing one soon when I move in to the apt.

Let me run nmap on you sir boarder.

Well I have tried about them all. First off D-Link sucks, But they have some nice looking stuff coming out in the near future. Second the netgear plastic ones suck also, but the metal cased ones are nice. I am currently using a Linksys one, i know everyone has their own opnions, but from all I have tried it just seems to get the job done. ndboarder have you flashed to their latest firmware? There are also alot of "hacked" firmware for the linksys, that basically turn it into a $700 router with all the extra features. But I think it only works only on specific models. Everyone has their own opnions, so don't take my word for it. Just save your money and get a Cisco :wink:

ss_cisco8d0.jpg

Yah, i flashed it to the latest version no luck, so I tried some of the intermediate firmwares as well... no real luck... a Cisco would be nice, but I'm not sure I need that amount of router for a home network...

I previously haven't been impressed with DLink or Netgear, but lately I'm questioning Linksys as well, though it's always been my choice...

Well, just for anyone else with a linksys, there are some nice 3rd party firmware options out there.

One is made by Sveasoft - it used to be free, but now they want you to pay a yearly subscription fee

Another is called Wifi-Box I believe, which can be found at SourceForge.net

These are only for the 54G routers however. I have an older 802.11b router that i got through previous work for which there is no firmware other than the updates from linksys.

The older Linksys units didn't handle (OSI) multicast traffic so well. North Dakota Telephone Company's network admin stated to the support Reps that they had stopped purchasing and stocking Linksys. Dakota Central Telecom has also stopped carrying Linksys. I saw first hand some issues with a Linksys where it would dump out of Half life after ten seconds. Firmware had been flashed to latest. Switched out to a Dlink and the problems were solved.

The older Linksys units didn't handle (OSI) multicast traffic so well. North Dakota Telephone Company's network admin stated to the support Reps that they had stopped purchasing and stocking Linksys. Dakota Central Telecom has also stopped carrying Linksys. I saw first hand some issues with a Linksys where it would dump out of Half life after ten seconds. Firmware had been flashed to latest. Switched out to a Dlink and the problems were solved.
That's crazy, again we use to carry D-link here at our company, but with all the trouble they gave us (almost everyone quit working with our wireless cusotmers) we switched over to Linksys and everything has been great now. But again the D-link stuff we were using was ancient D-links, so I am sure they have made great improvements.

I don't know what to tell you all. I've had great luck with Linksys in the past and heard good things about the newer D-Links. Everyone should probably just follow the admins advice, save your $$$ and get a cisco

Well the D-Link DI-524 arrived this morning. Hopefully I can get it configured for the network and test it out later this evening and through the weekend...

Well the D-Link DI-524 arrived this morning. Hopefully I can get it configured for the network and test it out later this evening and through the weekend...
Ya let us know how you like it.

I've got mine in the box yet...waiting to move in a week or so

Some preliminary features that I noticed over the lunch hour. Although I guess I knew about most of them before from the helpdesk days.

One feature that is a little different than on a linksys is port forwarding. It mostly just looks different, as you set up a virtual server and give it a port to pass through to a certain IP.

In connection with the virtual servers, you can then access them in the firewall settings and can limit certain traffic into, or out of your network. You can also set time constraints so that the traffic is only allowed between certain hours.

One feature it has that linksys doens't is the ability to create a dynamically static IP address, meaning you give it the MAC address of a NIC and DHCP always give that card the specified IP. Semi useless since you could just set your PC static, but neat none the less...

I'll post and let everyone know how it is working out. As long as it doesn't inexplicably block some traffic from my server it should work out just fine.

Has anyone tried this yet?http://www.dd-wrt.com/
What features were you most interested in?
Nothing really' date=' I am just fine with my default firmware. The signal boost would be fine, not that I need it and the VPN would be nice also.[/quote']I thought maybe you were after the snmp functions. Have you ever played around with "Wallwatcher" for linksys products. I like the charting and graphs.

http://www.wallwatcher.com/
WOW thats awesome, i haven't ran across this before.

Back