Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Best credit card company?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So my wife has been talking about getting a credit card for protection instead of using our debit cards. I think they are better about fraudulent charges. So what would you recommend for a brand of card? Maybe Amazon's? Anyone wanna recommend one with some good bonus? Just kinda wanna see what people use?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
oh boy... There's so many companies that offer "their" cards for perks or bonuses. Then there's whether you should have Visa, MasterCard, Amex, etc. Most places accept any of them, but there are those that only accept one or two. Costco for example is only Amex or debit card. Sam's club I believe is also exclusive to one CC company, but can't recall if it was Amex or other. The most widely accepted though is probably Visa.

I wouldn't focus so much on where you get the most or best reward, unless you shop almost exclusively at one place their brand of card isn't usually best (and some times can't be used elsewhere).

I'd say look for one that has a low or preferably no annual fee. Then just look for something that offers a bit of cash back over perks at any certain location. I believe Fidelity has cards that give around 2% cash back on all purchases (Amex or Visa) as an example.

I would start though by seeing what offers your bank may have. Personally I have a number of different cards, but the one I use almost exclusively is a Visa through Wells Fargo. They don't do cash back, but I do get points for every dollar spent (and paid back). Those points can be redeemed for cash and amount to somewhere between 1-2% cash back. It isn't great, but every once in a while I can redeem them and just have the cash back applied to my balance or deposited in my checking or savings account. That or sometimes they'll have gift cards discounted to where it gets closer to 3%, so if it happens to be that a card I would use is discounted I'll go that route (Lowe's, Target, etc).

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya kinda want to stick with Visa just because everywhere takes them. I looked online and there are all sorts, Chase etc. I do buy alot from Amazon though. Besides it will be paid of each month no matter what we go with. I had a credit card when I was younger and it took me forever to pay it off. Thought it was free money back then :p

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Good idea, I keep mine all paid off as well. had the same problem you did when younger, or at least didn't care about how long it would take to pay off.

Still, I'd mostly look with your bank of choice first to see what offers they have, as it's just easier if they have good offers and a central point of management. Regardless of paid off, look for cash back or reward points you can use for cash or something like that, then sometimes you can lower the amount you have to pay off each month or get some amount back of what you've been spending.

Ludacris

Fluxoid's Doctor
Members
Don't get a Chase card. The late fees are ridiculous and their customer service employees are all assholes.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
I looked for a card during August and September. I didn't find any that looked good. I didn't have a particular hang up, but late fees, overages, and membership fees all seemed ridiculous.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Just pay your cards off right away and you won't have to worry about rates. Don't buy what you can't afford. I only use Visa.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
I have a Capital One Visa and it's always been awesome. I do pay off on time, so I can't really tell you about late fees, but the customer service has always been great and their online payments are free and easy. I can't compare the many others, but I know Capital One has good fraud protection.

I have a service free platinum card and you get points/miles (like most others, and at 1%, spend $100, get $1 equivalent worth of many gift cards at amazon or prizes). You can set travel alerts online and if lost your PIN code for ATM like uses, you can get another by phone securely.

Another thing people don't know about some credit cards, they extend your warranty on products purchased with the card for up to another year.

$0 Fraud Liability

You're covered by $0 Fraud Liability if your card is ever lost or stolen. That means you will not be responsible for fraudulent purchases.

24-hour travel assistance services

If your credit card is lost or stolen, you can get an emergency card replacement and a cash advance.

24-hour roadside assistance

If your car breaks down or you get locked out, call us and we'll send someone to the rescue.

Extended warranty program

You'll get additional warranty protection at no charge on items that are purchased with your credit card.

Auto rental insurance

Rent a car with your credit card and you can get collision, damage, and loss insurance.

Travel accident insurance

Get automatic insurance for loss of life or limb at no extra charge when you use your credit card to purchase your fare.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
Most here mentioned many options before what I added. You can look into many and see for yourself as some might benefit you more. I think most are very competitive and you will find similar benefits. Can't really lose if you go with a big name brand.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ive been reading I guess the Amazon one isn't to bad it's got 3% with Amazon purchases, 2% on gas/restaurants/dept stores, 1% across the board.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I went ahead with the Amazon Visa rewards. I think for our lifestyle this one will be the best.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
Looks like the bank backing the Amazon card is Chase. I have a Chase Freedom card, which was my first card, as well as a Wells Fargo card. Never had an issue with my Wells Fargo card besides Wells Fargo itself being a crappy bank locally to bank at these days. I don't even use my Chase card anymore and have not for a long time.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Just wanted to update this a little later on. I really regret not doing this alot earlier. I am kicking myself to think how much we have missed out. I never thought the free money would build up as fast as they do. In about a months time I earned a free $25 for doing nothing more than our normal spending.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Thought this is cool, just got this email about my Credit Card. I like the extended warranty.

PURCHASE PROTECTION

Covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.

EXTENDED WARRANTY PROTECTION

Extends the time period of the U.S. manufacturer's warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less.

FRAUD PROTECTION

We help safeguard your account using sophisticated Real-Time fraud monitoring. You can rest easier knowing that your card transactions will be monitored for possible signs of fraudulent activity.

ZERO LIABILITY PROTECTION

Zero Liability means you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I see Amazon upped their card with more benefits.

Current Prime members with an existing Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card will be upgraded automatically to the new Prime metal card from Chase, as long as their Prime membership is eligible (criteria include having the card as your exclusive payment method in your Amazon wallet). And those customers will also begin earning 5% back now on their current card until the new one arrives.

“We are adding even more value to Prime by offering rewards on Amazon and everywhere else you shop,” said Max Bardon, vice president at Amazon. “Prime members will enjoy 5% Back on Amazon.com, 2% Back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, and 1% Back on every other purchase – plus best in class benefits including no foreign transaction fees, travel protection and 24/7 concierge service.”
Source

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I love these new credit cards we got from Amazon. They are metal. Also no longer have numbers on the front anymore just bare. Just your name and the chip and Amazon logo. The feel so durable.