What's new

Artificial grass

nodle

Administrator
Laying in bed this morning and this hit me. With all the advances in plastic. Why not make artificial grass? Basically this would come in big rolls like carpet. You can order the grass height based on what you like. Each stem of grass is made with hues and colors to look like different lengths and sizes of grass. Located on the bottom of the mat is a gel like substance to give some softness while stepping on it. It also has micro holes for the rain or water to drain down through it. Every foot or so there are little push steaks that dig in the ground so that it cannot be moved and affected by wind. Also built in the base is built in weed mat. For install the sod needs to be removed then this will be rolled out like carpet on your lawn. Trees and shrubs can be cut around it. It is maintenance free. The lawn never needs to be cut or water. Never fades and looks great year round. What do you think about this idea? I have the design and bottom views and side views in my head.

ryanator

There's a pretty big market for this with advanced materials already. http://www.synlawn.com/ This company makes artificial grass products that are very realistic. This is not like your turf dome grass of yesterday.

nodle

Administrator
See that's the problem. Everything I come up with has already been done. There really isn't anything left in the world to invent is there?

nodle

Administrator
Find a cure for cancer. That might make you a couple bucks.
There already is. They just don't want it released. Need to thin the heard and they make more money off of other drugs to help try to cure it at the moment.:alien: @davec would back me up.

ndboarder

I wouldn't be watering my lawn, but I'd be washing it to get all the dog urine and droppings off...

nodle

Administrator
I wouldn't be watering my lawn, but I'd be washing it to get all the dog urine and droppings off...
At least it would be a easy clean up and no burnt spots.

ndboarder

A bigger market for this could be some of the desert states, where there is little grass in the first place and most "lawns" are covered in other means anyway.

Personally, despite the upkeep and pain in the butt, I'll keep my crappy real grass that never wants to grow or wants to grow too much, gets over run with weeds and requires mowing. Though I suppose I could just settle for the fresh cut smell of a neighbors lawn...

nodle

Administrator
Well if you think about how much money and time you put into a lawn this cane be real cost effective.

• Money for gas for lawn mower

• Money for a lawn mower

• Money for maintenance for lawn mower

• Money for water usage and sprinklers

• Money for fertilizers, weed killers etc.

• Time for mowing the lawn

ndboarder

You may over estimate how often I mow (time / money for gas) or how much I really care about the yard (no sprinklers rarely water, rarely fertilize or bother with weeds).

I see Synlawn says:

SYNLawn® artificial grass keeps the dirt and mud off your pets no matter what the weather is like outside.
No muddy paws means no mud tracked in the house. No more digging holes in the yard, and getting dirt all over the place.
It still lays over the top of dirt I would think, unless people are putting in large concrete yards to cover. With some heavy rains I would think it would eventually just get buried or at least very dirty

WayneKerr

you mean astro turf? or zoysia grass?

I worked with a guy that said his cousin (?) spent 5k on grass he never has to mow because that is as tall as it grows.

*shrug* I never saw the aforementioned grass, but *better living through chemicals*