Stocks and investments

The problem is you are just doing it for a quick buck. To be an investor, you have to have a steady hand through the ups and downs, for years. Time in the market beats timing the market as they say.
200.gif

As @jmanz put it, time in the market beats timing the market. @ryanator also had a good point with the growth funds that can average 10-15%.

Day trading is risky as hell and anything I've seen or heard is that 90% or more of those that try don't beat the market average. A lot of folks jumped in recently with all the publicity, but it's easy to do well the way the market was going. Huge drop in Feb-Mar 2020, took only a few months to fully recover and just kept on going up. You could've put just about any stock ticker out of a hat and made money.

Safer and easier to just grab some total market funds like VOO or SPY, or some sector specific funds like QQQ for tech.

As @jmanz put it, time in the market beats timing the market. @ryanator also had a good point with the growth funds that can average 10-15%.Day trading is risky as hell and anything I've seen or heard is that 90% or more of those that try don't beat the market average. A lot of folks jumped in recently with all the publicity, but it's easy to do well the way the market was going. Huge drop in Feb-Mar 2020, took only a few months to fully recover and just kept on going up. You could've put just about any stock ticker out of a hat and made money.

Safer and easier to just grab some total market funds like VOO or SPY, or some sector specific funds like QQQ for tech.
I will add a few fund names. Growth- QQQ, IWF. Total Market Funds- VTI, DIA, SPY. Dividend Growth- VIG, DGRO. Yield- VYM
Set it and forget it. I prefer to pick my own stocks in my brokerage (my retirement accounts are in total market funds) however, I will probably be doing a fair amount of VTI in the future.

I will add a few fund names. Growth- QQQ, IWF. Total Market Funds- VTI, DIA, SPY. Dividend Growth- VIG, DGRO. Yield- VYMSet it and forget it. I prefer to pick my own stocks in my brokerage (my retirement accounts are in total market funds) however, I will probably be doing a fair amount of VTI in the future.
I have my own picks in brokerage for the most part as well, but mostly all long term holds. I have had an occasional swing trade, picking up something when it dipped and selling after days/weeks/months after a rebound

I have my own picks in brokerage for the most part as well, but mostly all long term holds. I have had an occasional swing trade, picking up something when it dipped and selling after days/weeks/months after a rebound
I have around 20 individual positions and most are companies that I've held for several years. And by no coincidence, they are the best performers in terms of gain percentage.

Man some big sells offs today from me.

It's gonna be a long year for all you investors out there. Economy don't like Biden and it's starting to show.

It's gonna be a long year for all you investors out there. Economy don't like Biden and it's starting to show.
And I'm telling you, just say the word and I'll help get you into the better money market of cards. Come on Ryanator, help me build back my Kobe and Shaq collection. Think of the future of cards. I'll gladly go away if you can show me values of any good card ever losing value. Mantle, Jordan, Kobe, Brady, Lebron. Safe bets. Even if the card market slows the big ones will never lose the value, unless the country/world goes mad max, and it will rise again.

From what you have shown me lately @C Pav , it would honestly be a better investments instead of this failing stock market each day.

I'm not getting all the way out of stocks mind you, just going a different (safer) investing route.

Me two weeks ago, VS. me on Friday. ?

ypk3cd2p92k61.jpg

It will be interesting to see how the market acts with another infusion of cash from the upcoming stimulus. With more people getting interested in stocks, a lot of money will be going into the market from those who might not need the stimulus checks. "Fun money"

I think that is one of the problems, the market does react to those stimulus checks. The problem is our government keep pulling the old 'carrot on a stick'. Remember we were suppose to get these stimulus checks, what last October (or somewhere around there). Now they tried slipping the $15 minimum wage thing in, which the Senate said they can't but they left it in which means when it hits the Senate floor they will knock it down and have to be rewritten again, which causes more delays. We are just about into March and still nothing. I bet it will be another couple of months or more before we actually get them. But I am sure there will be other delays. But then again we can send more money than our stimulus to other countries. :mad:

Good day today so far, just wonder how long it will last.

Me today because I don't have to worry anymore.

200.gif

I was up reading last night about how a lot of people think a big crash is incoming. I know, I know we have all heard it before, but it seems to be more and more of a common theme on some of the financial boards I visit every once and awhile. What’s your take?

Wow etc, maybe I spoke to soon...

200.gif

Back