Video games and kids

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since so many of us are Fathers, or are going to be Fathers, do you have a problem with your kids growing up and playing video games? I'm being serious now, it's up to the parents to make the decision on how they want to raise their child, but I am curious.

Also. I think this video is cute, brought a tear to my eye to see how grateful he was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't vote for rotting, they can be valuable. The biggest thing I think parents need to monitor is what types of games they allow the child to play and any online activity related to gaming (or I suppose just online in general).

As a gamer who grew up with games I am for games but they should be monitored with limits on how much time is spent on games and be age appropriate. It's harder than it ever has been though because I grew up with Mario where games were not as realistic, graphic or violent.

I also agree, we all know we wouldn't want our kids playing GTA games, but halo and the like I can see at around 13 years of age.

Come on, GTA teaches your kid to survive on the future streets of America, how else will they learn. And doesn't Mario teach kids to use mushrooms? Using fire against plants? Breaking bricks with your head? What about the anger of getting stuck on a hard level and throwing controllers?

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/real-super-mario-story-big-world-mushroom-kingdom-princess-peach.jpg

Here's a bonus fact of the original mario cover:

http://brutalgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/mario-dies-on-nes-cover.jpg

Video games are a lot of fun but looking back on it, my time probably should have been spent learning other things as a kid. I feel as though I wasted a lot of time. Anyways to answer the question, yes content should be monitored and also the time spent playing.

Video games are a lot of fun but looking back on it, my time probably should have been spent learning other things as a kid. I feel as though I wasted a lot of time. Anyways to answer the question, yes content should be monitored and also the time spent playing.
I always think that too but looking back, as much games as I played I also spent plenty of time playing outdoors, with friends and doing many other activities besides video games.

I think it's important to introduce your kid to competitive and non-competitive activities/sports. The development and self-confidence these build are priceless. Also, maybe have your kid get into some kind of hobby, of course you can't force, but introduce these things to them as young as possible.

Back