Home Server Racks and Ubiquiti

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that Ubiquiti has been busy since I last checked in and they have a fancier new Dream Machine Pro, a new camera option, doorbell option, access solutions, a security footage viewing device, a pro NVR ... a few new goodies that are tempting

Saw that Ubiquiti has been busy since I last checked in and they have a fancier new Dream Machine Pro, a new camera option, doorbell option, access solutions, a security footage viewing device, a pro NVR ... a few new goodies that are tempting
You know what needs to be done then Sir... :devilish:

Guess I mostly hijacked this thread for UniFi stuff. Just saw another device that is a pretty smart idea. They have a small power dongle that you plug in between your outlet and your cable modem. It connects to your wifi and checks internet connectivity. If internet goes out, it power cycles your modem for you. Might not work every time, but would be handy in cases when away from home and needing to connect to your network (remote desktop, home automation stuff, etc)

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-accessories/products/unifi-smart-power

I was all jacked and was going to order the dream machine last night, but I read slot of people complaining about the firmware. Have you ever had any problems with their stuff @ndboarder ?

Haven't had any issues with my equipment. What on earth complaints have people had about firmware? I have all separate components though, no experience with teh Dream Machine, or Dream Machine Pro (I've been tempted to replace my USG 4 with a dream machine pro - but think they have something else beyond that now even)

I'll be interested to see how it treats you. I know I haven't seen issues, not sure what complaints you've seen. As I was trying to think of any, all I could think was maybe the UI and configuration options are confusing for people? Not sure if the Dream Machine offers anything different, but the level of things that can be set means that some stuff just isn't where a person might be used to looking for it. For example, on my 24 port switch each port can be configured - this means I have to go to devices, pick the switch, pick an individual port on it and make any setting changes if I want something other than default. So, I do sometimes struggle to find a setting or have to search, but I've never had a case where there's something I couldn't accomplish in the setup and haven't had any devices failing - though I did replace fans in one device with some from Noctua instead because they were a bit noisy

Well you know how it is with anything, you only always hear the complaints not about the 1,000 other satisfied people that have no problems. I'm not to worried. Ya it's nice that they have managed switches, including the small one that I purchased along with it. I mostly wanted to get it so that I can place all of my IoT devices on their own Vlan. Unfortunately my Synology router has been promising this feature for awhile now and it never came. Plus I really wanted to step into the Ubiquity line and this is a good time to do it. Plus I always like to mess with new tech. ;)

Got all my Ubiquity stuff setup this weekend. Everything is working great so far. Still playing around with it all. So many features.

I’m loving the auto populated networking map. That’s just plain awesome.

How do you like Ubiquity's new UI @ndboarder ?

I like the updated look of the mobile app. I don't actually look at stuff much because it just works since my setup. I mostly open the mobile app once in a while to see if any devices have a firmware update available, or on the rare occasion I have a new Unifi device to adopt. Looks like they changed the web UI a bitt too, which is a bit more annoying because settings move and if I do need to change something it will be fun to hunt down.

I like the updated look of the mobile app. I don't actually look at stuff much because it just works since my setup. I mostly open the mobile app once in a while to see if any devices have a firmware update available, or on the rare occasion I have a new Unifi device to adopt. Looks like they changed the web UI a bitt too, which is a bit more annoying because settings move and if I do need to change something it will be fun to hunt down.
Ya the desktop UI is the biggest change, stuff is harder to find. Seems like they have simplified it quite a bit.

Big update to the Dream Machine just got released.

Recently upgraded a couple Ubiquiti items in my setup and cleaned up the wiring with some nice length patch cables vs. whatever random lengths were laying around. I have probably added to / upgraded a number of times since the last update on this thing.

I currently have their UDM Pro, NVR, 24 port PoE switch, 4 wifi APs, a pile of cameras including their doorbell. There's a couple items I'd like to acquire or upgrade, but hard to catch when in stock

@ndboarder Ubiquity just recently released some big firmware updates, including re-naming their app as well. They are trying to switch everything over to a unified structure (which is good).

Back