Service animals

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok before we get going let's start this off with, I personally think service animals are great. They have been proven to help the needs of people that need them. I know vets use them a lot along with others and I think it also provides a much needed loving home for the animals as well. So it's a win/win for both human and animal.

With that being said I am sick of seeing someone with a chihuahua that is a quote "service animal" because you have stress, when it really an excuse to have the animal. It has become a problem in our town because people will rent a home that says no pets, then once they get in there they say they have a service animal. Anyone can go online and pay $10 and have their pet become a service animal. But not a true one with training etc. So basically there is abuse in the system. I have been seeing them in restaurants and other places where these people are using them as an excuse. Just wondering if others have been seeing this lately in the areas where they live. I know our city is trying to pass new ordinances to combat this. They are requiring the official certification and training paperwork.

I started thinking about this because of this news report I read this morning.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-sues-delta-emotional-support-dog-allegedly-attacked/story?id=63364828

Last edited by a moderator:
People abuse the system for sure. I love dogs, more than people by far, and hate this Delta headline, and the harm it may do for actual trained animals. "Emotional support" animals especially are the ones people can seem to just bring in anything, and you have no clue how they really treat or train the animal.

The animal is always the one that pays for the sins of an owner that hasn't trained them properly, or has intentionally trained them poorly (pit bull, dobermans bad reps, etc).

An then there's the f**ks that get a couple, start breeding and trying to make money... train derailing, time for me to shut up

On a similar note...

Sitting at the grocery store waiting for my wife to come out and I see a lady pull up next to me in the Handicap spot. I noticed she didn't have a Handicap sticker on her plate or a hanging sign at first. Then she pulls one out and hangs it up. I could just tell that she didn't need it. Then I see a white Ford pull up with an American flag painted on the side of the truck, this time the gentleman has a Handicap license plate but has to park in a normal sport since the Handicap spots are taken. He has a Marine cap on and limps to go inside. So she gets out, she is a little overweight, not walking funny, no limping, talking one her phone. Comes out, have Starbucks in one hand holding phone up to hear in other and walks fasts and gets back in her car. Here is another abuse of the system. A women that doesn't need it and taking up the spot of someone that does. Don't they ever check those things?

Back