Impressions of base model Kindle?

WayneKerr

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a kindle? Until Nov 4th, Amazon has the Kindle for $29 after discount. With the new MatchBook service (not quite what I want but closer) its super tempting.

No clue I am a nook user myself. Have 3 different version of the Nook. But I have been around the Kindles and they are just as fine. E-books are pretty comparable nowadays. I say go for it. Can't go wrong at that price.

Does the Nook you use most have a back light?

No but it is the model that I use the most even over my Nook HD. It just the right size. When I purchased mine I would had sprung for the back lit one if they would had had it out. The one I use at work is the same model without the back light and I love it. The battery goes for a good month or more and that's with me reading an hour every day 5 days a week. The Nook HD is pretty but for truly reading books I would recommend the regular version with the back light.

If you plan to just read books, definitely go for an ePaper reader. If you are considering a tablet type reader (Fire, Nook HD), try reading an ebook on a PC screen that is backlit before deciding you want to read everything that way.

I'm also a Nook user. My simple touch for books, Nook app on my Surface for magazines.

If it hasn't come out already (I don't follow them that closely since the devices last so long), there's supposed to be a new Nook coming, same size form factor as current, but with the higher contrast ePaper tech. The glow light is nice. I have the first gen nook and a simple touch, but not a glow. I did give the glow to a family member as a gift and they really like the feature.

Whether you look at a Kindle or a Nook, I suggest looking at the most current hardware. Price is higher I know, but the device will last you for years barring any extreme handling and the newer eInk tech will make your reading more enjoyable in the long run. I don't read often enough, but I'm tempted to consider a new Nook with this, though I'm also a bit tempted to consider a kindle though I'm not sure how long I'll continue my Prime membership to give that a value proposition over the Nook.

Well shit. I read that wrong. $40 off discount was until yesterday. *boat missed*

Ohhhh that is nice. New nook glow light. @@WayneKerr do you not have a E-book reader at all?

I've tried to read on my iPod, but just couldn't do it. I haven't tried on the android tablet we got with our furniture yet. I used to use the excuse that I could get a book from my library but late fees are making that a less than plausible argument.

In general I don't approve of the pricing scheme and was hoping for something like Autorip for books. MatchBook isn't quite what I wanted.

I've tried to read on my iPod, but just couldn't do it. I haven't tried on the android tablet we got with our furniture yet. I used to use the excuse that I could get a book from my library but late fees are making that a less than plausible argument. In general I don't approve of the pricing scheme and was hoping for something like Autorip for books. MatchBook isn't quite what I wanted.
Does your local library offer any eBook stuff? I know many of them are starting to offer varying levels of eBook stuff, mostly through a partnership with Overdrive.com.If your local library doesn't there are some online that will allow membership even if not a resident. I looked into it once and I seem to recall a library in Philidelphia that is free for residents or $35 a year if you reside elsewhere which offers a decent level of eBooks through OverDrive.

Ya, the local library got overdrive this summer. Excited for that. They don't carry shit for sci fi, so that should be good. The school has overdrive too. I remember what you said about Philadelphia from prior discussions.

The $40 discount has been extended until 31OCT now.

Which model is it that is on sale? I don't see anything on Amazon at under $69. I know the price point of a new device is a lot higher than $29, but I'd still say just go with either the latest paper white device, or the latest Nook that just came out. The $29 model might be a starter, but if you get a lot of use out of it, the newer devices are easier on the eyes, lighter, and with more functionality. I guess I'm just the guy that usually buys best available at the time, so I'm not regretting a purchase or wishing I'd gotten something better in a week or two.

If you are logged into prime you should see an orange banner that says

You are eligible for an additional $40 off any new Kindle or Kindle Fire. Learn more

Discount is applied when you check out.

I see it on mine.

Well. I couldn't pass $29 deal. Its not for me though it is for my oldest daughter. But I'm sure there will be time for the rest of us to use it. Between Overdrive at school and the local library, and project gutenburg and read it for free on kindle, we should be set for books.

I came across this again and thought I'd share: http://www.openculture.com/free_ebooks 500 free books.

Into the future one step at a time...

Congrats sir. Enjoy!

Back