Apple and Macs

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Apr 28, 2006
Hey, my car remark was pretty spot on. You save money and get better gas mileage (battery life) since you have the lower end components to power. Performance parts use more fuel. The screen is a bit bigger, but it's a lower resolution (below 1080p) as well. I suppose when battery is a concern that helps a bit too, since any content streaming will probably be a lower res coming though

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Apr 28, 2006
I'm not arguing that it would be an upgrade, and I've said saving money is great.
Of course it's their top seller since it launched. It's the newest phone, so people that wanted it are buying it. People that wanted the phones that came out before it already bought them. Also, people are starting to realize how expensive their phones are even if they pay the monthly add-ons to phone plans, so it may continue to be a top seller.

What I"m saying is that the Xr is not a better phone than the others. I'm sure it is a perfectly good phone, but the only "wins" it has are really just side effects of it being made using cheaper components and it's slightly bigger size. Slightly bigger battery + older screen tech + roughly half the pixels to render = better battery life.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
Also, people are starting to realize how expensive their phones are even if they pay the monthly add-ons to phone plans, so it may continue to be a top seller.
I totally agree with this statement. I think people finally got burnt out on Apple's high prices. Yes there will always be Apple fan boys, but I believe people have a set mindset on how much they want to pay for a phone, and Apple went overboard the last couple of models. I will also agree with you, the XS is the better phone, but you have to ask yourself "is it really worth the extra money"? For me and me reading and playing with it at the store, no.

Just ordered:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
You know I have to give it to Apple, I haven't been around their new iOS setup, but it's kinda like their Apple watch setup. I setup my wife's new ipad, and it was pretty neat how all you have to do is have the devices within proximity of each other and it pulls everything over.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Apr 28, 2006
You know I have to give it to Apple, I haven't been around their new iOS setup, but it's kinda like their Apple watch setup. I setup my wife's new ipad, and it was pretty neat how all you have to do is have the devices within proximity of each other and it pulls everything over.
It's a handy process. I've gone through it with devices for a few people. It's usually pretty seamless, but it pulls things over from a backup and the devices have to be on the same iOS version for it to work. There's no good way to get in to apply updates before restoring though, so if your devices are off because one is older than another or one is enrolled in iOS betas and the other isn't, you have to do a regular setup to be able to apply updates to get to a matching version and then do a full reset and go through the process at least 2 times to really get things moved.

A long way of saying it could be improved by adding a check for OS updates early on in the setup process.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
So got the new phone, took a shower, put on the most perfect piece of glass I have ever installed, and.... the phone won't turn on. I though hmmm strange, they normally come somewhat with power, plugged in charged for an hour, then tried different charger, tried the volume up/down trick nothing, contacted support they told me to take down to Verizon store and they should swap. Aggravates me because the glass was perfect. :mad::cry:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
So here is an update on the phone situation. So the rep last night told me to go down to our local Verizon store and just get a new one. So I walk in and excuse my French some big fat girl with dyed blue hair is at the counter and I try to talk to her, first off she hang her tongue pierced and you can't even understand here and she goes "sorry that I can't help you because were not a true Verizon store". I felt like saying you better take the huge Verizon store sign down out front then. So she won't even help me, I figured as much so I come back and get on chat again. The guy last night was helpful, the new guy not so much, finally I just called in and spoke to a lady and she was super helpful and they are overnighting me a new one. So I will have a new one tomorrow.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Apr 28, 2006
So here is an update on the phone situation. So the rep last night told me to go down to our local Verizon store and just get a new one. So I walk in and excuse my French some big fat girl with dyed blue hair is at the counter and I try to talk to her, first off she hang her tongue pierced and you can't even understand here and she goes "sorry that I can't help you because were not a true Verizon store". I felt like saying you better take the huge Verizon store sign down out front then. So she won't even help me, I figured as much so I come back and get on chat again. The guy last night was helpful, the new guy not so much, finally I just called in and spoke to a lady and she was super helpful and they are overnighting me a new one. So I will have a new one tomorrow.
I wonder if you'll get it tomorrow? The U.S Postal Service is closed tomorrow due to honoring George HW Bush. Some federal agencies are closed as well. My wife has tomorrow off. Not sure about UPS, Fed Ex, etc.....

nodle

Cheesemonger
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
Well got my phone tonight and this one works! :) Anyways Apples transfer technology worked flawless. Phone is so large compared to my old one, and so fast and crisp. My favorite feature is Face id, go ahead NSA and put my face on file for the flawless easy of unlocking everything. (y)

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Apr 28, 2006
Well got my phone tonight and this one works! :) Anyways Apples transfer technology worked flawless. Phone is so large compared to my old one, and so fast and crisp. My favorite feature is Face id, go ahead NSA and put my face on file for the flawless easy of unlocking everything. (y)
And the screen didn't crack when you used Face id? Must be a good phone.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Staff member
Apr 27, 2006
Apple might relocate iPhone production to another country
The U.S. is currently in the midst of reforming its laws regarding tariffs on imports from China. At the moment, Apple remains unaffected by these heated trade sanctions. However, if U.S. President Donald Trump decides to increase tariffs on smartphones, Apple officials have disclosed that the company might need to move production operations outside of China, since a large portion of iPhones is manufactured by the Cupertino giant's Chinese partner companies.

Although these new tariffs are yet to be implemented, Apple has already come up with a list of possible candidate countries to shift operations for other products. For now, it is waiting for Trump to make the next move. In a statement made to The Wall Street Journal last month, the U.S. President disclosed that goods produced in China had a high likelihood of being charged with raised tariffs, including laptops and smartphones, and the percentage would probably be set between 10 and 25 percent.

Apple employees have stated that the company does not plan on making any changes to its existing model if the tariff is raised to 10%. However, should it increase to 25%, the firm will be forced to reconsider. According to Bloomberg, a 10% raise can cause a decline of $1 in earnings-per-share, whereas a 25% increase is likely to cause a more dramatic EPS drop of $2.50.