What's new
Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Apple and Macs

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
More health integration which is getting them deeper into the healthcare industry. $$$ I think that stuff is cool but probably not for you.
I heard they can send a signal and kill you now if you don't like or disagree with their products. :alien:

But on a serious note, how long until your insurance company can request the medical history from Apple? I know there are people that ran into this with those home genetic kits and insurance companies going after the results, they are in process of trying to pass laws to prevent this but I wonder if this would apply to the Apple watch? :unsure:

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
You gonna trade in that old X now @jmanz ? I know @C Pav will just for the OLED screen.
Nope I'm good for awhile. No issues with the ones we have. Edit- Actually I forgot, we can upgrade ours after December with this new plan we are on. We'll see how it goes between now and then.

Last edited:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Basically the cause of the whole market today is because the new Iphones aren't selling that well. Well sooner or later people will be satisfied with the speed etc. of their phone and they won't have a reason to upgrade or may skip some generations. This is pretty common sense. Unless you come out with some ground breaking features people are going to get bored.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Plus when looking at 1000+ price for a phone it's a big turn off for generally minor hardware upgrades. Most people can't afford that, aside from the payment plan options, but cell plans are expensive too. Adding another $40+ per phone to the monthly bill hurts enough to make people double think new phones as well.

They have a "budget" option, but I think people look at that as the phone they don't really want. It's the low end phone and it's still something like $700, so on monthly plans it isn't that big of a difference.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
Basically the cause of the whole market today is because the new Iphones aren't selling that well. Well sooner or later people will be satisfied with the speed etc. of their phone and they won't have a reason to upgrade or may skip some generations. This is pretty common sense. Unless you come out with some ground breaking features people are going to get bored.
A lot more to today's market action than just Apple.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/12/dont-blame-mondays-market-rout-entirely-on-apple-global-growth-and-the-fed-are-issues.html

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
After reading about the Iphone XR, I am wondering if I should go this route over an XS, in some ways it's actually better and cheaper.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
After reading about the Iphone XR, I am wondering if I should go this route over an XS, in some ways it's actually better and cheaper.
By all means save some money if you want a new phone and don't care about the differences, but I'm pretty sure price is the only place the Xr beats the Xs. Quickly looking, I guess the only thing is it has a slightly bigger screen, but it's an LCD at lower resolution compared to an OLED with much higher resolution. Xr isn't even 1080p

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya I have been watching Youtube videos on the differences, and in fact in some way it's even better. You can do a lot with an extra $250.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well I went down to the Verizon phone and took a look at the XR and talked to the people, she said all they sell is XRs anymore. I really liked the screen, it sat next to a XS and I couldn't even tell the difference, in fact I almost liked the screen better. So ya I am sold. :)

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
in fact in some way it's even better
Can you name them? I don't feel like watching any videos. On paper, that's a false statement, there is not one single spot I can see in comparisons where the XR has any kind of hardware that is better than what would be found in the higher end models. Being cheaper is the only plus - and that is great if you don't need the extras - but calling it better just because is pointless. It's like getting a car, or getting the exact same car with a performance package - the base model is in no way superior or better, but it costs less. Nothing wrong with getting the base model and saving money when you just need to get from point A to point B.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Can you name them?
Sure I can go get the tech specs as well since the videos show them on Apple's page. For one bonus I guess is it is larger than the XS, not really an improvement but it is to some. The next is the extra 1.5 extra hour of battery life compared to the XS (due to not having to power the OLED screen) test show an average of 3 hours longer in real world tests. The next is the camera, since it does portrait mode but not in wide angle, most of the Youtube videos say it actual does portrait mode better. When running a cpu benchmark as posted in one of the videos above the XR actually ran the CPU fast than the XS or MAX. Even though all 3 run the same cpu. Some Youtube videos are showing it's more crack resistant on drops as well (but this could all be at what angle so doesn't really mean anything). Oh almost forgot one more plus... you save $250 dollars.