Telling someone what you do for a living

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you ever hate telling someone what you do for a living? We went to a new church on Sunday, and people ask "what do you do" I dread the words that come out of my mouth next. "Ummm i... i work on computers" There is a pause as i know deep in their head thier frustrations with computers come boiling in their head. "Oh so you know alot about computers huh?" I could write the script that will come out of their mouth next. It will either be " Well i have this little problem..." Or "Say could i ask you about this and that" I just hang my head and try to sit as fast as possible. Next thing i know there are about 7 times in the sermon making fun of computers. I just keep elbowing my wife, and i paint a fake smile at each joke.

Anyone else hate this? :smt086

I know nothing about computers....NOTHING!  :abby:

I feel your pain....

...if I'm seen in the hospital, general public assumes I'm a doctor because I'm a male wearing scrubs...or they assume that I'm working as a nurse while I'm in medical school training to be a doctor....

I also get....say, I have this medical problem,  what do you think I can do for it??  um...how about you see your doctor.

I hear ya Nodle.  It's like people must think that we just are thrilled to work on any computer because they have no problems asking if you can come over or if they can drop off their machine.  It never fails.....I know DaveC can chime in on this topic, he gets hit up worse than anybody I know for free pc support.

I hear ya Nodle.  It's like people must think that we just are thrilled to work on any computer because they have no problems asking if you can come over or if they can drop off their machine.  It never fails.....I know DaveC can chime in on this topic, he gets hit up worse than anybody I know for free pc support.
Its probably wrong of me...but when someone calls in, and especially if they have eff'd there computer up and I can show them they are connected to the internet and they have problems with say a slow computer or there printer doesn't work...etc, I'll tell them to talk to there computer friend at work or church.  But I reserve that for folks that are beyond help or if they are rude sometimes too.

I don't go out much. That seems to limit problems.

Back