AMD purchases ATI

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I see that AMD has purchased ATI. I haven't had a chance to fully read the article.

LINK

I wonder how this will affect nVidia's market share in both gfx cards, and chipsets.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I see that AMD has purchased ATI. I haven't had a chance to fully read the article.
LINK

I wonder how this will affect nVidia's market share in both gfx cards, and chipsets.
Ya I saw that this morning. I knew they were in talk about it for awhile. I think it's cool, but almost wish it was Nvidia instead.

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Not having their own decent mainboard hurt them years ago (751 comes to mind). I wonder if they'll merge ATI"s existing MB technology with some of their own ideas for platform rollouts?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
LINK

Ya I saw that this morning. I knew they were in talk about it for awhile. I think it's cool, but almost wish it was Nvidia instead.
Yes, I would've much rather seen a purchase of Nvidia, or something along those lines. I'm a big fan of nForce boards, as well as the Nvidia gfx cards over ATI. Last I looked I think ATI had an edge performance wise, but Nvidia's universal driver and compatibility with linux more than makes up for any small performance difference.

I know i had also heard rumors of this, but am surprised they didn't try something with Nvidia, since their technologies and ideologies seem to go more hand in hand than with ATI.