Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

Amazon Alexa devices

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I got my Yamaha receiver out of storage and a couple of the satellite speakers, and took my new Echo Dot which has a 3.5mm output and ran it into a wiring harness that outputs to rca jacks then plugged them into the receiver audio left and right inputs and sure enough I can now play music though the stereo system. Didn't cost me a dime since I had all the wires already, pretty sweet. This is out in my garage by the way. Now I just need someway to get my sub out there, I really don't want it sitting on the concrete floor, might build a shelf for it.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
I suppose these devices are kind of like the gateway drug to smart appliances, smart plugs, and such. Great way to keep spending that $$$$$.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I suppose these devices are kind of like the gateway drug to smart appliances, smart plugs, and such. Great way to keep spending that $$$$$.
I guess. But they work so well. Siri is a piece of shit compared to Alexa, once you use one you would understand. I mean she is instant, and actually finds what you ask about. I love being able to walk in a room and just tell her to turn on the lights, so much easy and faster. Our whole family uses it. I think you should try one.

jmanz

I bought you the sims
Members
I guess. But they work so well. Siri is a piece of shit compared to Alexa, once you use one you would understand. I mean she is instant, and actually finds what you ask about. I love being able to walk in a room and just tell her to turn on the lights, so much easy and faster. Our whole family uses it. I think you should try one.
I just don't feel like that stuff makes big enough changes to warrant spending the money for it. I can turn lights on and off myself. I'm all for technology but these things aren't significant game changers to me. Just my opinion. But then again, I don't use Siri either and I get along just fine.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Amazon has some deals going on today for the Alexa related devices. Picked myself up an AC adapter to complete my garage setup. It's a good time to grab an Echo Plus with free bulb @jmanz , these are Black Friday prices.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
Make cooking easier? Sounds great because who doesn't have the time or knowledge/skill to open the microwave, put food in and press a few buttons. Now you have to Open the microwave, put item in and then talk to Alexa. "Alexa, cook my meal." "Sorry, I didn't find cook my meal on Spotify." "No stupid, don't play music, cook this frozen meal." "Stupid is a mean word used to offend someone. Cooking frozen meals became popular since the introduction of microwaves in the 70s invented by Percy Spencer."

"Alexa, turn off."

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Being built into a microwave is getting to be overkill. I'd kinda prefer to just choose where to put speakers/mics by placing separate devices personally. Different strokes for different folks. I'll stick with a non-integrated approach and just add echo devices. I will take a smart device that they can control. I don't really use these often for device control, but for hard to get at switches, or simplifying multiple steps it can be handy.

For example, while I can control 95% of my light switches and a few outlets, there's only a couple that often get turned on/off with smart assistants. One of them is tucked away in the closet, the other is only at the entry way and is something I may want to turn on from the garage, so it's handy to just speak rather than have to dig out a phone, launch and app and do something while in the middle of a project. Another common use is to start the Roomba. A quick command is faster than launching an app or wandering over and getting at the corner the thing is hidden away in. I could see the microwave and oven stuff being handy. A quick statement to execute multiple button presses. It's like texting or just making a call, if it's going to be a lot to type, just call and you can say way more in far less time.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
It seems like Amazon's focus has been the kitchen lately, fist with their clock and now the microwave. I don't know if they are ready to step up to larger appliances yet like a stove, refrigerator, and dishwasher yet. I believe they will leave that up to the manufactures to incorporate it. But I can see it coming.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
There's already stoves that can integrate with it. Not built into the appliance, but with WiFi and able to be controlled by commands if you set it up. This is the way I would prefer it, just make them smart and an option - don't build the mic arrays and speakers into every imaginable device. Same as the "smart plugs" - i hate the idea of an extra plug between the wall and a device - just not clean looking. I prefer to just put in a new outlet/switch entirely where desired.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
just make them smart and an option - don't build the mic arrays and speakers into every imaginable device.
This is what they want *cough N.S.A
I prefer to just put in a new outlet/switch entirely where desired.
If I built a new home right now I would do what you said, just go ahead and wire the entire hours this way. But then again, is all smart home devices sent on a standard type yet? Or are we still in the days of Beta vs. VHS until a unified support structure comes out?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
If I built a new home right now I would do what you said, just go ahead and wire the entire hours this way. But then again, is all smart home devices sent on a standard type yet? Or are we still in the days of Beta vs. VHS until a unified support structure comes out?
If you go buy all the smart plug things that aren't outlets, or different individual lights, then it's a bit of the wild west. If you stick with older smart home tech that's been around for decades, you can get all sorts of switches and outlets you'll primarily choose either Zwave or Insteon. You'd have the controller for the tech of your choice and get switches/outlets that use that. I use Zwave, I have a controller that will do any zwave and could do a couple other more specialized protocols.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
My Echo plus has some sort of hub built into it I guess, I don't know which one though. I did setup my plug in the stereo in the garage last night. They are so easy to add to your network. Renamed it Stereo, and all I have to say now is "Alexa, turn on the stereo". I love how it can recognize what you rename them to.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Hooked my clock up at lunch. Has a nice clean face to it. Feels somewhat cheap though. Put the batteries in and just say "Alexa, please setup my clock". It runs though it's paces and is then done. Perfect time, plus the countdown timer is nice. I like it. (y)