Home Server Racks and Ubiquiti

I have a wall mounted one (there's a link to it somehwere a ways up in this thread). It has a door for the front and two side panels I could put on to enclose it, and has a couple fans on the top. It's mounted off in teh corner near the ceiling of our mechanical/laundry room, so I do not have the door/sides on it and don't run the fans (they are a bit noisy). I also replaced the factory fans of my USG (or was it the switch) with Noctua fans, because they are quieter and keep it cooler.

Thinking about maybe ordering an 8 port switch to start with and slowly weeding out my other stuff. I'm thinking the 8 port 150w POE version.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

For me to totally switch to all Ubiquiti devices would run me around $600. I need to think about it.

why are you thinking of moving off your Synology? Missing features? Multiple access points for better coverage?

why are you thinking of moving off your Synology? Missing features? Multiple access points for better coverage?
Nah just always love trying new things, you know me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ndboarder are you running a Pi-Hole in your mix yet?

Got the announcement email on those yesterday - and No, not running a pi-hole
You should, I think if you added one in your mix your would love it and also be surprised on how much stuff it blocks.

Seems like the internet is in a uproar after the latest Ubiquity update that adds a "call home" function.

? What uproar is this, I has not seen. I had an update for my access points and switch over the weekend. didn't look to see if the controller software had any updates. I guess I would've always imagined there was some form of call home - at least from the network key devices since they give you remote access to manage through either apps or https://unifi.ubnt.com/

HAHA, I just came here to post it, beat me by 18 minutes. Ya a lot of people have been waiting for it. I am gonna read up on it. Seems like an all-in-one solution.

Geez only a 4 port gigabit switch?

Geez only a 4 port gigabit switch?
Yeah, but how many do most people need - especially as a starting piece. I'm not surprised. It would be nice if it was PoE+ switch though, but my assumption is that they figure if anyone needs to expand beyond the one AP would need a bigger switch anyway, and would get a PoE+ switch at that point. Most any standalone wifi routers I had previous to my current setup only had 4 ports. I had to add extra switches in my network area and such.On that same type of note, I ran 2 cat6 cables anywhere I wired network in my house so I'd have 2 ports. In hindsight, I really should've just done a single port. Either 1 is all I need, or I need more than 2 and I end up putting a switch in each room anyway to accommodate the number of wired devices.

That's kinda what I am doing right now, I have a 10 port gig switch that splits form my 4 port built into my router. Once I started running Pi-hole, NASs and other things I ran out fast. I don't know, it's always for someone that wanted an all-in-one, but I was expecting something better. Like you said POE ports, more ports, a rack mount style etc. I do like the cloud key built in though.

I have seen 3D printed versions of these small racks (I have been meaning to post pics of them) but I thought this Lego creation one was even more amazing.

That's a nice little setup of their CloudKey 2 Plus, USG and 8 port switch. Just needs a mini patch panel to go with it... Though, unless someone is planning to add Ubiquiti security cameras, there's no point in getting the Plus, just the cloudkey is sufficient, or you could just run their software on a PC, but having it always on and remotely accessible without any monkey business is nice.

Just had to look, but I don't have a recent pic since adding the rack mount for my cloud key and getting my patch panel in place

Back