Your pick for antivirus software?

Norton actually does a good job these days, even like the guy from the Youtube channel admits he has to give credit where credit is due for catching stuff. I have been using Nortons at home and at work over the past year.

What I like:

• Small memory footprint

• flash updates (instead of waiting for the full definitions to push out, they download smaller portions to be protected faster)

• Pretty simple GUI

What I don't like:

• Can be somewhat naggy out of the box, (just click the box to not remind me ever again)

• Looks like just recently they partnered with Lifelock (this is fine but don't push it on your branding, be an AV company not a credit score company)

Norton actually does a good job these days, even like the guy from the Youtube channel admits he has to give credit where credit is due for catching stuff. I have been using Nortons at home and at work over the past year.What I like:

• Small memory footprint

• flash updates (instead of waiting for the full definitions to push out, they download smaller portions to be protected faster)

• Pretty simple GUI

What I don't like:

• Can be somewhat naggy out of the box, (just click the box to not remind me ever again)

• Looks like just recently they partnered with Lifelock (this is fine but don't push it on your branding, be an AV company not a credit score company)

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to check them out again.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to check them out again.
I'm not saying they are the best by any means. But they have come along ways. As funny as it is, probably the best AV as far as protection goes out there is Kaspersky at #1 followed by Nortons #2. This is based off of what they actually catch and stop.

I'm not saying they are the best by any means. But they have come along ways. As funny as it is, probably the best AV as far as protection goes out there is Kaspersky at #1 followed by Nortons #2. This is based off of what they actually catch and stop.
You mean what they create, catch and stop. :whistle:

Honestly @ryanator even Microsoft's built in AV in Windows 10 is great these days. Most people don't really need nothing but this. It's just some of the others do a better job. Remember the best AV out there is COMMON SENSE!

You mean what they create, catch and stop. :whistle:
There is so much truth in that statement.

I've learned that professional virus catchers will get viruses no matter what. Those that are good at being safe, like me (YEAAHHHHHHH) can get by with the free cheap stuff. May I ask why you pay for one when I am pretty sure you are better than me and most anyone for safe web usage.

Honestly @ryanator even Microsoft's built in AV in Windows 10 is great these days. Most people don't really need nothing but this. It's just some of the others do a better job. Remember the best AV out there is COMMON SENSE!
I use to recommend MS's Security Essentials because it was free and had high ratings at the time. So true about the common sense, I was thinking the same thing. It's funny how fast some people run into viruses over and over again. Maybe they are click happy on all pop ups, I don't know.

May I ask why you pay for one when I am pretty sure you are better than me and most anyone for safe web usage.
I think your just paying for peace of mind to be totally honest. Since my old job just basically revolved around this I can see what disasters can happen, not really from viruses anymore, but more from Crypto variants and malware. I think Nortons and others have come so far on the malware that even programs that I used to once recommend like Malwarebytes (they still do a great job) and others are no longer needed since the AVs do a great job now. I think the Cryptos are what really scared me, I remember when they first hit and people thought they were a job and not real and not really encrypting your data, boy were they wrong. I even see Microsoft's built in AV has Crypto protection built in now.

So on my quest for a new AV for 2019. I spoke to live chat about Sophus and it doesn't scan incoming emails. Which sounds dumb since this is standard in almost all AVs. Just wanted to mention it. He said it's only available in their big managed corp version. I mean real-time protection would probably catch something, but the module should be standard this day and age.

Nortons's saved my butt the other day at work. I was sent a zip and within the zip was a good old piece of ransomware. Nortons got it. (y)

Nortons's saved my butt the other day at work. I was sent a zip and within the zip was a good old piece of ransomware. Nortons got it. (y)
We don't even allow zip files to go through anymore.

We don't even allow zip files to go through anymore.
Interesting. How do you deal with someone wanting to send multiple files that might be to big? Dropbox etc.? Also are you blocking by extension? Say some sends a .RAR or .7zip? Or are they all blocked as well?

We have a file transfer system in house we direct people to if they need to send large/multiple files. Yes blocking by extension. In fact, our ISP blocks zip now too. So they don't even make it to our level. I'm not positive about RAR or 7zip.

Seems like Sophos has come along ways.

We have a file transfer system in house we direct people to if they need to send large/multiple files. Yes blocking by extension. In fact, our ISP blocks zip now too. So they don't even make it to our level. I'm not positive about RAR or 7zip.
You get around this by making your .zip, rename it to something like .abc and let the guy on the other end reverse it....

You get around this by making your .zip, rename it to something like .abc and let the guy on the other end reverse it....
True. That would work.

I have been trying out Sophos out again, Norton has been pissing me off.

Back