Let's talk about vehicle GPS devices

Interesting ad I saw for Ford vehicles, they now have Waze built in.

Tried Waze out this weekend for the fun of it. Worked well, just like google maps does.

If your playing around, download the Tom Tom go app, you only get 49 miles per month for free without paying for the yearly price, but see what you think. It has made me want to go with Tom Tom.

If your playing around, download the Tom Tom go app, you only get 49 miles per month for free without paying for the yearly price, but see what you think. It has made me want to go with Tom Tom.
Why not just go with the free ones?

Why not just go with the free ones?
Because Tom Tom also displays POIs or Points of Interests, gas stations, restaurants, rest areas, etc.

Because Tom Tom also displays POIs or Points of Interests, gas stations, restaurants, rest areas, etc.
Have you looked at settings for the map in some free ones? I feel like this is something you can enable on most of them. At the very least they let you search for broad things, such as "nearby coffee shops" or such pretty easily. If you're on the road a lot, something paid could be worth it

If you're on the road a lot, something paid could be worth it
That's what I was saying about the Tom Tom versions. I don't see it in Waze the options to enable all of those things. Honestly I was surprised that Garmin doesn't make an app. They have some but not really for vehicles. Now the Garmin GPS has a great POI system that will actually show the symbol of the restaurant or gas station.

That's what I was saying about the Tom Tom versions. I don't see it in Waze the options to enable all of those things. Honestly I was surprised that Garmin doesn't make an app. They have some but not really for vehicles. Now the Garmin GPS has a great POI system that will actually show the symbol of the restaurant or gas station.

I haven't looked on Waze but Google Maps has that. Restaurants, gas stations, parks, you name it.

I haven't looked on Waze but Google Maps has that. Restaurants, gas stations, parks, you name it.
3D looking like that on the road?

3D looking like that on the road?
Doesn't look quite as nice but it gets the job done. And free!

So I thought I would post this here, I actually ordered both of these models: Garmin Drivesmart 61 and the TomTom Go 520. Here is what I thought about each. The Garmin is a 6" compared to the TomTom Go 520. But I can't justify the extra $50 they were asking for the TomTom Go 620. I prefer the smooth screen of the TomTom. I actually favor the way the streets are displayed as well on the TomTom. But the Garmin displays the POIs way better and more. The Garmin also re-routes better if you miss your turn. The voice command on the 520 was worthless, never worked but twice, the Garmin works flawless. The phone app on the TomTom is way better that Garmin's phone app. The wireless updates on the Garmin never seem to work properly, the TomToms worked fine. I like the alerts on the Garmin for school zones etc. The TomTom does not do this. The magnetic mount on the TomTom is excellent, the mount with the Garmin is not as nice. I was originally going to send back the Garmin and keep the TomTom, but after trying it out today and the pain of the non-existent voice control I am going to cancel my return of the Garmin and keep it and return the TomTom instead. The Garmin isn't 100% perfect, but out of the two it works better. The TomTom GPS stand alone phone app works better that the TomTom GPS itself though. Hopefully this small review between the two will help someone else out if they are looking between these two.

Back