All things related to the Xbox platforms

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator

The press release yesterday said no Avatar stuff will transfer to Xbox One.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ya the day after isn't looking to good for the xbox. Even hardcore xbox guys are bashing them. I still don't know about the PS4 though because it's gonna do alot of the same stuff. Just surprised all the hate on it. Even myself am starting to get turned off a little now.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
I think it's time for SEGA to do what needs to be done, Dreamcast 2. Make it what gamers really want and win it all!

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
disclaimer: I have not watched Cpav's video... Anyway, I get people complaining about a "fee" to play a game. really there isn't one if you are a guy that buys the game in a store anyway. you get a code and you activate it.

They haven't said anything about lending, or if there would be a small fee, or how things like used games or better yet rental (gameFly) will work. What's the fee? The current price of the game (You know prices will drop over time on a game as they always do and you can buy), or for rental/lending is it some small fee for a limited time key ($5 a week or who knows). All of this hasn't been officially discussed.

As far as needing a key to activate your game, is that any different than Steam or any PC game really? In previous console cycles the technology or general availability of the technology to do this type of thing wasn't all that realistic, but as times change I don't know why anyone is surprised that consoles go this route. I don't care about the key concept at all. In fact, if it means I can install to HDD and play without the disc I'm all for it. I buy from stores, either new or after the price comes down, I don't sell my games, so the only thing I get from this is the benefit of not having to change discs if I want to switch to a different game...

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
disclaimer: I have not watched Cpav's video... Anyway' date=' I get people complaining about a "fee" to play a game. really there isn't one if you are a guy that buys the game in a store anyway. you get a code and you activate it.

They haven't said anything about lending, or if there would be a small fee, or how things like used games or better yet rental (gameFly) will work. What's the fee? The current price of the game (You know prices will drop over time on a game as they always do and you can buy), or for rental/lending is it some small fee for a limited time key ($5 a week or who knows). All of this hasn't been officially discussed.

As far as needing a key to activate your game, is that any different than Steam or any PC game really? In previous console cycles the technology or general availability of the technology to do this type of thing wasn't all that realistic, but as times change I don't know why anyone is surprised that consoles go this route. I don't care about the key concept at all. In fact, if it means I can install to HDD and play without the disc I'm all for it. I buy from stores, either new or after the price comes down, I don't sell my games, so the only thing I get from this is the benefit of not having to change discs if I want to switch to a different game...

[/quote']

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.
So basically you pay full price.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

C Pav

Members
Not even going to try and argue. Different people want different things. I grew up with the NES, SNES, Playstation and the systems that were made to play games and not much else. I get that they want to include extra bells and whistles so they can make a few more dollars by selling to those who may not want just a gaming system. I don't care. game systems are game systems. Focus on games and leave the other crap for other devices. Face it, games these days do not have the quality they once had. Games are too big for their own good. Budgets are to high and the quality of games suffer.

Here it is and about my original sentence. I grew up where multiplayer was going to a friends house and playing Contra or any other coop game. If it was a single player game we would take turns or watch the other friend play the game. It was fun. Now kids these days sit in front of the tv and never leave the house. Listen to them online and tell me with a straight face you wouldn't want to take a belt to them. We used to be able to borrow games from friends and lend games to them. It was good times. No internet required, no activation and we loved it. Going to the rental store on a Friday to rent a game for the weekend was freaking awesome. Going to a garage/rummage sale and being able to buy used games was like a treasure hunt. All that gone because of what Sony and Microsoft think we want when in the end it's what they want and only care about the money.

Get rid of all the extra crap in systems, get rid of online required, get rid of activation required and get back to making games with quality for gamers. Editing this in. Get rid of gimmicks like motion controls and Kinect, especially Kinect required. It was fun for a few days then became a great dust collector which only made the system take 2 minutes to load now. I think we need another gaming industry collapse to make this happen.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
So basically' date=' if you give a game to your friend they pay full price (whatever it may be at the time). If you just go to a friend to play your game, you pay nothing. The license is tied your console and your account, so if you are logged in at your friends there is no fee to play your game (from Major Nelson)

Anyway, seems everyone here (as always) just wants to read the negative and blown out of proportion articles...

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/05/24/microsofts-biggest-product-since-windows.aspx

<span style="color:rgb(5,99,193);">http://kotaku.com/mainstream-media-reacts-to-the-xbox-one-509243303</span>

<span style="color:rgb(5,99,193);">http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?symbol=US:MSFT&feed=OBR&date=20130523&id=16515014</span>

<span style="color:rgb(5,99,193);">http://seekingalpha.com/article/1454801-has-microsoft-s-xbox-one-destroyed-apple-tv?source=msn</span>

<span style="color:rgb(5,99,193);">http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/05/22/2-bits-of-good-news-for-microsoft-stock-investors.aspx</span>

<span style="color:rgb(5,99,193);">http://seekingalpha.com/article/1455751-will-microsoft-s-release-of-xbox-one-trigger-another-rally?source=msn</span>

There's plenty of good and bad press. Sure you want just a gaming system, problem is those are dead, they are gone. The gaming industry hasn't been fairing as well the past couple years, so there is apparently not as big of a "hardcore" gamer market as there once was. The PS4 will be no better and maybe no worse. The games on it will still look amazing, so from a gaming standpoint it is what it is and like the 360 will be the benchmark of gaming platforms....

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I agree with ndboarder in some respect about it's not just the xbox that is going to be doing this stuff, but also the PS4. Let's face it, there is a huge change coming in the video game world. I actually think we will see increased mobile and pc sales because of this. I sure am going to miss the days of walking down the street to rent a game. Think about places like Gamestop, Gamefly, and Redbox. I would dump your stock asap.

C Pav

Members
Problem is they are doing it to themselves. Look at the Gameboy, it's awesome. It sells well and most people love it. Why? Because it plays games and does that well. The games are simple. I understand it's a different market being handheld but in the end we just want games.

Boarder, I am not reading articles and reports to form my opinions, I am saying what I am from my heart. I don't want all the extra crap and I am not the only one. I could live with it being an all in one unit if they got rid of the kinect required, DRM must install to disk and have a code BS. I will also back off my stance some if game prices are lowered. None of it's going to happen because they suck. What happens 10 years or more down the road when they shut off the servers or whatever and I want to play old games? I am screwed. If I want to play NES or any old games now I still can as long as I have a working system and game. That's how it should be.

And why do you want an all in one system? I don't because of the more problems it causes because of something failing. I hate technology these days because they don't put effort into quality. The 360 started it with their poor design and I am sure it's going to be the same with this box. It's a 2 sided problem. They know they can't make a system that costs 800 dollars and must keep the production costs low but that means a design that fails.