4 way stops, especially busy ones

C Pav

Reaction score
It never fails to happen. Stopping at 4 way stops and either nobody wants to go and they wave you while you are waving them to go. You wait for them, they wait for you, then they get mad and start to go while you start to go. You both stop then both angrily wave the person to go or wave something else why you go. That is one outcome. You also have the people who clearly stopped seconds after you(and you even have the right away) and they go like it's their turn. Another thing that happens is same situation except you go because you know it's your turn but you see them start to go like they think it's their turn. They stop and you can see they are mad.

Add to this a stop we have here that's a 4 way but also has turning lanes for both directions at each intersection. It sucks.

LOL you are correct I can see the scenario you described in my head. I hate them. I find myself slowing down if you see people are going to be stopping at the same time as you. This way I can just them go first.

LOL you are correct I can see the scenario you described in my head. I hate them. I find myself slowing down if you see people are going to be stopping at the same time as you. This way I can just them go first.
LOL yeah that's what I try to do.

Very common. It amazes me how terrible people are at understanding when it's their turn at a 4-way stop. Pretty basic concept. They should have cameras at all such stops, and send anyone they capture having issues figuring it out back to driving school.

Lol, so true this all is. The part I hate the most is when the other person clearly stopped after you and goes before. It's either they are in a rush, a jerk, or just poor perception.

Usually it is that they are a Jerk. Occasionally I'll go before someone who stopped before I did. Yes, I am a bit of a jerk, maybe a lot of a jerk at times, but usually this is because while it is clearly their turn to go they sit there too long debating whether it is their turn or not and I give up on waiting.

Usually it is that they are a Jerk. Occasionally I'll go before someone who stopped before I did. Yes, I am a bit of a jerk, maybe a lot of a jerk at times, but usually this is because while it is clearly their turn to go they sit there too long debating whether it is their turn or not and I give up on waiting.
So your that guy. ;)

This brings up another question, I think it's some people are really impatient. I'm a cautious driver at the 4 way stop and I could see it being myself waiting to start going after the last car's rear has passed the centerline at the cross (middle of the street) whereas some might start going right way and make the turn after the car is out of the way.

Very true, though I too generally wait for cars to be through the intersection entirely. However, if I pull up about the same time as another and know it is their turn to go, and no one else is moving and they sit there more than a few seconds I'm done waiting.

While 4 way stops are a pain, the alternative that's started to crop up here are roundabouts. These are just as bad or worse in my opinion. In some scenarios they make sense. Mostly where there are numerous possible exists (big round about, directing traffic to more than 2 streets), or where the corner would be awkward (3 streets joining at odd angles). As a replacement to a 4 way stop, they mostly just seem to cause more confusion than a 4 way stop and aren't a whole lot faster since they are such tiny roundabouts that only a couple cars can really fit in at a time.

Roundabouts are the most retarded creation. I just went though one they put in up north here. I have used them before but for someone that hasn't it can be confusing & dangerous.

My thing with roundabouts is the circle seems so tight that other drivers are speeding at me, so I slow do so I don't get hit.

I agree. Roundabouts in small intersections are ridiculous. At your standard intersection where there would be a 4 way stop, they are tight and unless you are just making a right hand turn through one it is a pain. I've only been through one that is a decent enough size that it seemed to work OK, but that was just for 3 streets.

I've heard out in big metropolitan areas they have them where it's 7-8 streets as you go around, and making the trip around is at least 1/4 mile. To me that scenario makes a little more sense

Back