Fitness Trackers

ndboarder

Reaction score
Does anyone here use one of any sort? Fitbit models, fuel band, Nike+ sensor, etc?

I have a Nike+ sensor that I used while running in the summer. Doesn't work with an elliptical ya know. The cost of entry for those other devices is kinda high and when I checked recently, they didn't all work with the all of the good apps. So if you have a preferred app, then you'll want to to check if the device works with it.

At the end of the day, its about putting in the effort. If the gadget helps, then its worth the cost. As far as apps go. I used Fitocracy and Runkeeper. Admittedly, its been awhile since I've used them.

Doesn't work with an elliptical ya know....
So, is an elliptical what you have for when it is not summer, or did you somehow know I run on an elliptical currently? :|Some of the fitbit devices seem fairly cheap, though I think the spendier ones that can track some sleep activity sound interesting. I know a few with the FitBit's and they seem to get decent information through the standard FitBit site and apps. I believe some used some 3rd party apps as well, but haven't looked into it too much. Just something I've been thinking about a bit, but not sure how much it would really benefit me.

Too bad none of them have a tie in to the Xbox Live achievement system :)

So, is an elliptical what you have for when it is not summer, or did you somehow know I run on an elliptical currently? :|
Yes for the cold weather. And sometimes hanging clothes. Coincidence

Some of the fitbit devices seem fairly cheap, though I think the spendier ones that can track some sleep activity sound interesting. I know a few with the FitBit's and they seem to get decent information through the standard FitBit site and apps. I believe some used some 3rd party apps as well, but haven't looked into it too much. Just something I've been thinking about a bit, but not sure how much it would really benefit me.
The website tested.com did a review of the different products about a year ago.

Too bad none of them have a tie in to the Xbox Live achievement system :)
I don't know if there would be enough movement during just dance or Dance Central. It is worth mentioning that Nike had some sort of Football training camp deal for the wii. Maybe some day when tracking on the kinect gets better there may be better implementations.

I don't know if there would be enough movement during just dance or Dance Central. It is worth mentioning that Nike had some sort of Football training camp deal for the wii. Maybe some day when tracking on the kinect gets better there may be better implementations.
I'll try not to drag this thread too off topic. My mention was just that I'd do more to get an achievement than to just be tracked on some site. However, since you brought it up, the Kinect tracking is much improved on the Xbox One. They do have an Xbox Fitness with numerous trainers, etc. On the 360 there was also a Nike+ game of some sort, though it didn't directly pair or do much with the Xbox, just used that to get you moving.As for Dance Central, it's not my thing, but I do personally know someone who lost over 50 pounds just playing that game...

If you want chevos, check out fitocracy.com You have to enter it manually, but there are progress badges. It is a manual tracker, with the exception that I think Runkeeper will update fitocracy (at least it did until it broke) Not sure if they fixed that. That is the extent of my familiarity with the subject.

If you want chevos, check out fitocracy.com You have to enter it manually, but there are progress badges. It is a manual tracker, with the exception that I think Runkeeper will update fitocracy (at least it did until it broke) Not sure if they fixed that. That is the extent of my familiarity with the subject.
Thanks for the inputs sir. I'll have to check into a few options if I decide to look into some kind of tracker more seriously.

Well, after looking at a number of options, I picked up a Fitbit Force to see if it can give any motivation to stay a little more active. It works to a degree on the elliptical. It can't really account for resistance, but the number of steps does increase. You can also then go log the activity through an app or their site to tell it you ran on an elliptical at low/med/high resistance and at low/medium/high speed to get a more accuracte picture of calories. It would be nice if it had a heart rate monitor (built in or a companion device) so it could more accurately track this stuff on it's own, because I have yet to find a combination on their site that very closely matches what the elliptical claims, so not sure which I believe more. I do believe there are a few HRM devices that you can use with their site though, but I'm guessing would require manual entry of a degree.

Being on the wrist I don't know that it's the most accurate tracker of steps, but it does seem pretty decent. Even if I hold my arm out in front of me it picks up steps and when I scratch the dogs it doesn't seem to count the arm/hand movement as steps.

Sleep info is a little interesting to see too, but time will tell how much this is of use/interest to me I guess.

While I am not convinved of any accuracy and will have to come back to this, it does so far make me think more about what I do through out the day, so if that continues over time and I don't just throw it on a nightstand to sit it should achieve the main goal of motivation.

Oh, and their program does award badges as well, but it doesn't have Gamerscore like draw. Also friends, so you can compare against others you know if you really want. You can also input your meals and snacks to track calories in/out if you really want to keep a closer pulse on things. You can also integrate the data with other health sites that I haven't looked into much, like myFitnessPal and Endomondo

I see that about every company out there is trying to get into the wearables business with some form of fitness/activity tracker at CES this year. Garmin, Razer, Sony, and many others seem to have new devices

Save yourself alot of money.

nrqKukc.jpg

Whatever works to get people motivated I guess. At the end of the day, you still have to have the desire to get into shape. Put down the gadgets and hit the iron!

Boarder, just curious if you are still using your Fitbit?

Boarder, just curious if you are still using your Fitbit?
ha... nope. (short version) Took their money and returned it to them. (long version) I had no issues with it for a couple months of constant wear and then suddenly started developing a rash on my wrist. Switched wrists and happened again. As much as they claim it was a reaction to nickel in the band I do not buy it. I've not had an allergic reaction in the past, and I wore it for weeks on end aside from a charging every few days with no problem. Then suddenly it becomes an issue and a rash forms in a day or two? I think the fact the charging port was on the bottom, toward your skin/hair was a problem and that it was more of an electrical burn. I still have a spot of discolored skin on my wrist and haven't worn one in well over a year.
Anyhow... seeing step counts and such did add a bit of motivation to jump on the elliptical or just get up an move around a bit if you weren't quite at the goal number of the day, so they are still a decent idea. I may at some point pick something else up, but probably not another Fitbit branded device anytime soon...

What about the Microsoft one? It looked good but seemed to be out of stock everywhere for the longest time.

Back