All things Obamacare

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
John Schnatter, CEO and founder of pizza chain Papa John’s, took a critical look at President Obama‘s Affordable Care Act recently, warning that the legislation will result in price increases for pizza.The law changes that go into effect in 2014, he said, will increase the company’s costs — and those increases will be passed on to consumers. “Our best estimate is that the Obamacare will cost 11 to 14 cents per pizza, or 15 to 20 cents per order from a corporate basis,� said Schnatter, who is a Mitt Romney supporter (and fundraiser).He added, “We’re not supportive of Obamacare, like most businesses in our industry. But our business model and unit economics are about as ideal as you can get for a food company to absorb Obamacare.�

Those added costs, he promised, will make their way to consumers:

Quote:

If Obamacare is in fact not repealed, we will find tactics to shallow out any Obamacare costs and core strategies to pass that cost onto consumers in order to protect our shareholders best interests.
http://www.mediaite....r-pizza-prices/

So you're saying that basically the Obamacare plan is to have businesses put the cost on consumers (us), so basically you'll be completely paying for your own healthcare (as part of your normal daily purchases), plus probably that of others. Great...

Yup and I see tons of business following suite. Another words if they are going to get punished over it, they are gonna pass the buck to you. Mark my words. Universal health care can work in countries, but I'm sorry America you are late to the ball and you need to focus on other matters at hand before this will ever work - meaning never.

They need to get his college records released. Something is fishy there, they are going to great lengths to keep those records sealed. It's funny how they can't find one of his college classmates who were in his same major that even remembers him attending Columbia University.

He has no records at Columbia or Harvard. His Thesis papers are sealed, His selective service records are sealed, His Attorney records are sealed. He has a Massachusetts Social Security number even though he was born in Hawaii?

They've spent a lot of money to seal that information up.

Yup and I see tons of business following suite. Another words if they are going to get punished over it, they are gonna pass the buck to you. Mark my words. Universal health care can work in countries, but I'm sorry America you are late to the ball and you need to focus on other matters at hand before this will ever work - meaning never.
Just wanted to reprise this thread. I'm marking nodle's words, because the new Affordable Healthcare Act is going to get messy.

I also heard about this in general as one of the possible backfires that will happen with obamacare. There is a requirement that makes companies with 50+ employees to get health insurance for full time employees. Either companies will start hiring more part timers or even drop the full timers off the insurance and pay the fine, which is rated as too low, so the company actually comes out ahead.

I also read that in reality, it looks like most American's could be paying up to double in premiums what they are now. This is based off the market in California, who is first testing this, but there has been some confusion on what may actually happen.

Everything is to quiet about it. This country in the state that it's in will not be able to handle it. We have already lowered the quality of workers in this country. The quality of health care will go down. Doctors Mal-practise suits will go up. Quality of doctors will fall. They will be over loaded with customers. Every cough, ever cold people will be at the doctors for. You will have addicts going to the doctors trying to get free-meds all the time. Other countries that established this back in the 70's are fine. We are to little to late. But people won't care about any of this. All people think of is "Hey it's free"!

Ryanator's post:

That is exactly one of the worries I have about this. We are in an already failing complicated health system, and universal health care is not the right solution. It's only going to compound the complications and lead to what you said. Plus, in America, doctors are paid more for people being sicker, so the system will propel itself to cater and keep people sick and never care for the root causes. Though the root causes are not easy to take care of either...work stress and poor diet.

Though I don't really like "Obamacare", I think an acceptance of a national reduction of hours for everyone would be a great idea. But on another hand, we don't live in a society that people would make good use of their time if it's free. Everyone wants everything and wastes resources as it is.

No surprises here for me. Many low information voters that voted for the current regime will be in for a shock however. The liberal media will do their best spin tactics as the heat comes down. Amazing how he can avoid taking ownership of anything. Also, wasn't he supposed to be the great unifier? Seems to me that racial tensions have been as bad or worse than I can remember.

Though I don't really like "Obamacare", I think an acceptance of a national reduction of hours for everyone would be a great idea. But on another hand, we don't live in a society that people would make good use of their time if it's free. Everyone wants everything and wastes resources as it is.
See it won't be that way though basically instead of hiring someone full time, they are going to higher 2 people to do the job of one. This way they get around the law. Now this might look good on paper (because it will make it look like job growth) but these two people will only be getting half the hours, hence not making enough money to make it. Then because of Obama care and being forced to caryy insurance or goto jail. They will end up going to jail since they can't afford to carry it. Our prison systems are going to burst. People won't be able to afford to buy anything which in turn is actually going to hurt the economy even worse. So while it will look good on paper and Obama will be like "look at all these jobs I have created!", in fact it's false information and the economy will worsen. I could go even deeper in it such as more stress on people, more job accidents, quality of of customer service will go down etc. etc.

I agree, it will create a bad domino effect. And to clarify my previous statement, I was referring to a more practical society with working less stressful hours. But in our case, it's not where close and with employers going about this way of lessing hours is a negative impact on our work/benefit system.

Less hours would be awesome in a established system like Europe has. But the system has been refined over time. The same thing can be said about free health care systems in other countries. But we are trying to be like them to fast and to late. It can't work in a country that is already falling apart.

More companies dropping health coverage of working spouses (Obamacare)

The United Parcel Service will no longer cover employees’ spouses on the company health plan. And while it’s not the only company to have adopted the policy, it’s among the largest. Some 15,000 UPS spouses who can obtain health coverage through their own jobs will be dropped from the plan. In a memo to employees, the company explained that the change was intended to offset the effects of the Affordable Care Act, which were expected to increase its health care costs by 4%.
About a fifth of companies had policies to discourage spouses from joining their health plan in 2012, according to Mercer, though most just charged extra—$100 a month, on average—to cover spouses who could get insurance elsewhere, rather than deny coverage entirely. Indeed, large firms including generics maker Teva and supply chain manager Intermec have spousal surcharges costing $100 a month, or $1,200 annually, while Xerox charges $1,000 for the year. Next year, 33% of companies plan to impose a surcharge on working spouses, up from 20% this year, according to Towers Watson. See: 10 things your office won’t say But experts say more firms are likely to drop spouses altogether, whether they work or not—especially when the new federal health-care exchanges open in 2014, providing an alternative for spouses left out in the cold. “When there’s a place for people to go, employers won’t feel as beholden or compelled to cover the spouse,� says Joan Smyth, an employee benefits consultant with Mercer.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-your-boss-is-dumping-your-wife-2013-02-22

Back