Is college a scam?

I believe more focus should be put on apprenticeships and 2-year associate degrees for most people.  And this doesn't have to mean lesser pay, just more focus on doing what a person wants to do through more hands on experience.  Only higher level technical people need more advanced degrees. 

I have been going back to school to get a degree in Healthcare IT. Recently I found out through a... friend that a sister of my friend has a job at a hospital and has a degree in Philosophy. She was hired because her parents work at the hospital. Why am I going to college again?

I have been going back to school to get a degree in Healthcare IT. Recently I found out through a... friend that a sister of my friend has a job at a hospital and has a degree in Philosophy. She was hired because her parents work at the hospital. Why am I going to college again?
You will find as you get older, as the old saying goes "it's not about what you know, but who you know".

t3_6eyeki
&token=AQAAkcIyWYFeJKSfdTjvBImK87gyUm2yfBlQV-sNtn2dFFlRzHSG&app_name=reddit.com[/img]

hx2cwzK.jpg
t3_6eyeki
&token=AQAAkcIyWYFeJKSfdTjvBImK87gyUm2yfBlQV-sNtn2dFFlRzHSG&app_name=reddit.com[/img]
This country has really gone down the shitter. (Elon Musk "Universal Basic Income.")

(Elon Musk "Universal Basic Income.")
One world currency will happen some day.

Assuming that's real, which wouldn't surprise me, it shows how our educational standards (on paper) are getting higher, a higher competitive workforce, an educational system that is getting more broken, and possibly more automation causing less need for human workers. The latter can cause less-educated workers out, and pushing 4 year degree people down or filling in middle or low jobs, with graduate degree earners filling in jobs above those.

That is sad. It leaves me with lots of questions though.

The two aren't exactly stated to be linked. Prefer someone with a Masters Degree. Minimum salary $15.29. Anyone that gets the job (whether they meet the preferred qualification) gets the minimum pay (or better, it is minimum after all). One would hope if someone meets the master's degree criteria that they would get more than that minimum as a starting salary. Having no clue what the application is for, perhaps it's an internship for getting into some exclusive field where people will take low pay to get in at the ground level.

Geez lol, :LOL: I have been reading online how these new college students are taking out larger loans because they actually believe their debt will be forgiven with the next candidates. They figure if it is going to be forgiven why not take out as much as possible, it's free money right now. ? Man this is going to even make matters worse.

I can't believe we are still hearing about all this student loan debt cancellation etc. How is this even a thing? Can I go borrow a loan for a car and not pay it back? I want free money as well. Shoot if they are going to do it I will go to college then and rack up a bill as well.

I think this whole shutdown has opened some minds on why they said they needed to charge more for online classes etc.

For undergraduates studying at home amid the coronavirus pandemic, college isn't what it used to be.

However, it costs just the same.

While a number of colleges and universities are offering refunds of fees and room and board, the reimbursement policies vary from school to school — and nearly all of them have drawn the line at tuition.

As students and their parents argue that remote learning doesn't have same value as an in-person education, a growing number of undergraduates are taking their cases to court.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/demand-for-refunds-intensifies-among-college-students/ar-BB13GHwt?li=BBnbfcN

The cost of college is already way too much, and for the benefit of society, should be low cost. Administrative costs are probably the biggest factor and while some oversight and organization is needed, its way overdone. Online classes should prove to do away with much of that, but the racketeers don’t want that to happen, do they? So they justify their positions and money hunger.

Back