Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

4k monitor or 4k tv

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I have a question. Is it better to buy a 4k computer monitor, or buy a 4k tv and use it for your computer monitor? Can you still do that these days? Would it be better to use a computer monitor for your monitor or can you use a tv as a monitor is I guess what I am trying to ask?

Davidc

Caulk Sucker
Members
Aren't they almost interchangeable at this point? One man's TV is another man's freedom fighter.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
I would say it depends what you plan to do with it.  You can easily get and use a 4K TV, which in general is cheaper and also pretty much every recent 4K TV will include HDR.

PC monitors on the other hand may be 4K, but very few of those offer HDR and the ones that do are up there in price.  4K monitors (and televisions) also currently cap out at about 60 frames per second, though some monitors may overclock and go a ways beyond that.

If you just want a monitor for browsing the web and other mundane computer tasks a TV works just fine and is probably a cheaper option.

If you want something for PC Gaming, you don't want a television, but you may also not even want a 4K monitor since the 2K or ultrawides are currently capable of much higher framerates than the 4K displays.  Though, it has been a while since I looked closely and there were some [email protected] capable displays that were supposed to be coming in 2018

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I think it's just easier to keep my computer monitor and buy a separate 4k tv.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ok from what I have been reading I want a 10bit HDR panel. Is that correct? So pick me out either a monitor or a tv that is smaller. I mainly want the best look quality wise.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I am having a hard time picking out a monitor or even TV that meets what I want. I always thought Samsung were the best, but its seems like not the case with their 2017 lineup. Everyone is recommending TLC.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
I say do it. TCL gets great reviews for what you get for the price. WHy not a larger size? 55 is the lowest I would ever go with a tv these days.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
The don't buy a TLC. Get the latest and greatest OLED or don't do anything at all. Then get a Pro with PSVR, an X, and a Switch. You then also need a super receiver and surround system.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
The don't buy a TLC. Get the latest and greatest OLED or don't do anything at all. Then get a Pro with PSVR, an X, and a Switch. You then also need a super receiver and surround system.
Then I would be you...

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well got my TV tonight. Holy Shit she is HUGE! The 4k is pretty amazing as well. Apparently my computer pumps out 4k I never knew. I see one tiny dead pixel, but I think I will just live with it. The colors blow my mind.