What's new
Fluxoid

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Printers

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Well I ordered one this morning. I went BIG! I was seriously set on the smaller of the two, but well you know me. Sooner or later I would want a larger one. So I went with the Monoprice maker select 3D. Touchscreen, dual fan on the extrude, dual motor on the Y axis, 7.9" x 7.9" x 7.1" build area, and a 50% faster print speed. Also ordered a few rolls of PLA as well.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
So jacked to get this thing. I sometimes wonder if I should had bought the smaller one, but it will be nice for if/when I ever need it. If your into modding things this would be something to get into.

ryanator

Mathematical
So jacked to get this thing. I sometimes wonder if I should had bought the smaller one, but it will be nice for if/when I ever need it. If your into modding things this would be something to get into.
Don't worry, she will appreciate the 8 inch objects compared to the tiny 4 inchers.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Great wife said the package was delivered but box is in rough shape. I think it's suppose to have decent packaging but still. You know I am so sick of deliveries anymore. Fuck Amazon using the Post Office to make their deliveries. I agree with Trump 100%. I went through 3 tvs last time due to them being broken in shipping. This shit gets old.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Well good news is I don't think anything is damaged. I looked real quick at lunch. I will fully set it up tonight.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Printer is out in the garage printing as we speak. Everything was fine in the box. Make sure to level your X axis first! Take a small bubble level fist and start here. 3D printing is all about having everything level and your nozzle in a perfect position. Took 6 screws to assemble total, including the spool holder. Printing a sample right now. Man so many possibilities with this thing. Now I am glad to have gone larger, and a faster printer. I'll report back in later.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
I am impressed by the 3D quality. Finished my first print last night. Looks like I got my bed properly leveled. There is a learning curve. Most of the files you download will be in a .STL format which is the 3D format. Then you have to open software and "slice" it to make it work with your printer and output to a G Code format. Then you copy it on your SD card and print it. There are a lot of options to change such as a base they call a "raft" and supports as well. You can also change the inlay which is how thick it is, and other options. So there is a learning curve to it, not to bad though. Tonight I will start printing accessories for it.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
So printed two pieces last night. One was a filament arm that helps guide the filament. The amazing thing about this is it has a ball built inside the arm. After it was done creating it, there was a full functional ball inside. It created it that way, pretty amazing. Then I created a larger spool holder, since the stock is crap. This was the biggest piece so far. It did great though. It was a longer print so I had to get up about 1 a.m. to go get it. Turned out beautifully.