Fluxoid

Welcome to Fluxoid. Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

3D Printers

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I know we have discussed them in the past, but never really had a topic on them. I see they have come down tons in price and even the cheaper ones seems to be decent such as:

Flashforge 3D

I have been running into a few pieces for my telescope that no one seems to make and I could easily print them off using a 3D printer. The prices are decent as well. Plus site like Thingiverse are out there for all sorts of things to print. Anyone been around them or used them? I know I use to work with a kid that had one that would print gear off for his Robotics. Now I wish he was still around so I could have him print me some things. Think they are worth investing in?

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Members
Haven't done anything with them personally, but did look into them quite a while back. A lot of the ready to use / simple ones have come down in price, but some of the best ones at the time were cheaper, but required some assembly, and in some cases you put the thing together and printed off higher quality replacement parts to upgrade your printer.... At the time I was looking the guys I knew that were fairly into it were using kossel type printers

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
The thought of being able to print out a piece of something that broke and can't be found easily or at all is intriguing. I know I try my best to superglue anything and everything because hard to just throw things away or deal with broken things. Having one of these would be pretty nice to replace those broken things.

ryanator

Mathematical
Members
These are tempting, especially for making replacement parts. Personally, I would go with a more top of the consumer line type for better speed and finish quality.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
These are tempting, especially for making replacement parts. Personally, I would go with a more top of the consumer line type for better speed and finish quality.
Like a Makerbot? I don't know. These printers drop in price fairly fast. You might by one and the next year only pay half for it. It seems like the features keep improving fairly fast. Another thing to look into is the design option. I wonder how user friendly the design software is? It's easy to just print out someone else's template, but creating your own needs to be easy and straight forward.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Members
Buy a 3d printer to print a 3d printer then return the one you bought? Or better yet, buy a 3d printer to print 3d printers to sell...

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Buy a 3d printer to print a 3d printer then return the one you bought? Or better yet, buy a 3d printer to print 3d printers to sell...
That's actually not really to far behind. You can basically printer almost all the parts for a 3D printer. In fact I ran across some 3D printable parts for the 3Dprinter listed above to make it even better. How far until it's automated and a 3D printer can print an entire 3D printer?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I'm thinking about the Tevo Tornado now, it has great reviews, and can print some very large things. Unfortuantly not on Amazon and looking online for a U.S. dealer. Still at the same time would I ever really print something that large?

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Well guess thats that, can't find the Tevo anywhere in a U.S. store, they are sold out everywhere.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I was on Thingiverse last night browsing around. There are so many useful things to create. From garage pieces, to household, to improvements on virtually anything. It's a strange way to think "oh i could really use this part, better run to the store to try to find and buy it. Oh wait I can just go out to my garage and print one." As the future unfolds these are going to get amazing.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
So I am still searching, trying to narrow something down. I have learned a lot though. It seems your print bed being level is very important. There are a lot of China brands making these things and are basically re-badged models. It seems like there are a lot of "mods" to do after getting one to make them better. You have to decide how big you are going to print, it seems like the smaller ones will go up to five inches, while the larger at 8 inches. There are different filaments to use. PLA is the most common, but there are other such as a flexible type, ABS etc. I'll hopefully have a decision by next week made.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
I think I am going to start small at first. Everything I really want to print is knob size anyways.