What's new
Fluxoid forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D printable guns

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
So been kinda keeping my eye on this stuff for the last year or so and wonder what your take is? Personally I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I think it's kinda neat and hope it catches on more. Information should never be censored. It's worth watching the whole video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
An equalizer? A great equalizer? The greatest equalizer? A gun printed by a 3d printer that downloaded the file from the internet. This is a huge deal!

I am reluctant to agree with the speculation that a 3d printer would be in most homes within the next 10 years. And specifically one that could print out the parts necessary to achieve what was depicted in the video. I suspect that the printer used was more expensive than a semi-automatic rifle, but the printer would be infinitely more useful. Think of all the hooks you could print! (A jab on some commentary in the video)

I watched a segment that said the reason they didn't shoot more than 1K rounds with there latest version was that they ran out of ammunition. Can we imagine a 3d printed Gatling gun?

I think the biggest story here is that people can take it upon themselves to leverage against the companies that profit from manufacture and sales of firearms and from those that would pit us against each other.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
I think the coating is what holds it together after the printing. I wonder if you wrapped the plastic say in carbon fiber for strength? It would be fun to experiment with all sort of polymers.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Also I was thinking how is this any difference than say a CNC machine cutting out metal parts? In a way a CNC machine might even be cheaper than a 3D printer at this time anyways.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
An equalizer? A great equalizer? The greatest equalizer? A gun printed by a 3d printer that downloaded the file from the internet. This is a huge deal!

I am reluctant to agree with the speculation that a 3d printer would be in most homes within the next 10 years. And specifically one that could print out the parts necessary to achieve what was depicted in the video. I suspect that the printer used was more expensive than a semi-automatic rifle' date=' but the printer would be infinitely more useful. Think of all the hooks you could print! (A jab on some commentary in the video)

I watched a segment that said the reason they didn't shoot more than 1K rounds with there latest version was that they ran out of ammunition. Can we imagine a 3d printed Gatling gun?

I think the biggest story here is that people can take it upon themselves to leverage against the companies that profit from manufacture and sales of firearms and from those that would pit us against each other.

[/quote']The printer Defense Distributed uses starts at $32,000. The newest Makerbot costs $2,799.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
I'm confused by the last post' date=' are you saying that the printable cheaper is more expensive?[/quote']

I listed 2 prices for different machines. While its interesting that a person can buy a printer, the span of cost is huge.

I am reluctant to agree with the speculation that a 3d printer would be in most homes within the next 10 years. And specifically one that could print out the parts necessary to achieve what was depicted in the video. I suspect that the printer used was more expensive than a semi-automatic rifle' date=' but the printer would be infinitely more useful. Think of all the hooks you could print! (A jab on some commentary in the video)

[/quote']I meant to say that the printer would be "exponentially more expensive" than the rifle.

There is a lot of different conversations to be had on this topic and while the printer will change to debate, but not everyone is going to have access to the printer required to accomplish the task.

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
I wonder if the printer would pay for itself later one. spend 32k on a printer, then sell the guns for 2k a pop = profit? I think they are just worried as the prices on these printers get cheaper.

ndboarder

Bill Gates' Gimp
Disclaimer: I have zero knowledge when it comes to 3D printing

Will the printer eventually pay for itself, probably, will it pay for itself quickly I'm not so sure. Aside from the cost of the printer, how much to the printing materials cost? Can you really sell a printed object (gun or otherwise) for much more than the cost of the material? How many would buy a "printed piece of plastic" for a cost anywhere near the same object made of traditional materials with a normal manufacturing process.

I think the folks at Figureprints.com use 3D printing to print out objects and have for the past few years. Sadly it looks like they quit doing Xbox avatars, but you can have your WoW character or Minecraft junk printed out and shipped to you...

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
I'm gonna leave this hear so in the future I can pull it up and say "I told you so"! I think sometime in the future your gonna see a big shooting and they are going to see it was a from a 3D printed gun. Then they are going to ban/crackdown on this. It's really a grey area at the moment.

ryanator

Mathematical
Will be interesting on how they will regulate it. Will they make it like printers that have a sensor not to print money, or regulate 3D printers?

nodle

Forum Nazi
Staff member
Honestly I don't know how you can snuff it out. I know they went after the 3D plans and shut that down, but how you could stop a guy in his basement I don't know. Maybe have a permit to own one?

Top Bottom