nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Ok i'm sure that you know the Mayan clendar ends on December 21 2012. How many think this is the end of the Earth. They had another special on the History channel the other night about this. It is real interesting that they could tie all the astronomical events together like they did. Like i always say, the people of old were smarter than we are today. We have lost the skill and craftsmanship over time. So do you think it will end?

Ludacris

Fluxoid's Doctor
Members
No.  I really don't think the world will just end one day.  Especially in 2012.  The only way I can see life on earth ending that suddenly is if the earth is hit by an astroid the size of the moon.

WayneKerr

Mad scientist
Members
Didn't get to see the show, but have read a little on the net about it.  Some of what I read was about a large scale event that will bring about a new cycle.  Something like a polar (magnetic) shift.  Other things I read referred to the return of Quetzalcoatl, the Mayan Serpent god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012 I love wikipedia!!!  One I hadn't read about was "a point of singularity"

There is a lot more...Click the link for hours of surfing...

Ludacris

Fluxoid's Doctor
Members
Didn't the Mayan also sacrifice virgins to one of there God's?  I guess I can't say I'm 100% on board with all of their ideas.

nodle

Cheesemonger
Administrator
Still though you have to wonder how they knew about all the astronomical stuff? I don't know if you ran across this but if you also read some of the translated passages from it. It actually ties right into the ending with biblical passages.