Borderlands 2

ndboarder

Reaction score
Well... more and more big game release dates are nearing. Things will really heat up starting next month. Anyway, while I'm probably most excited about Dark Siders 2 and Black Ops II (kinda embarassed to admit that one)... anyway, I liked Borderlands, and saw this new trailer for Borderlands 2 today. It's mostly the music (and Claptrap singing near the end), but I've watched it a number of times and have some excitement about this one now

http://kotaku.com/5925328/this-new-borderlands-2-trailer-trades-wub-wub-for-lion-king

Make sure to get the big Borderlands collectors edition. The big loot chest thing.

Make sure to get the big Borderlands collectors edition. The big loot chest thing.
THIS!

Well of course... I'm not sure what Nodle is getting at... apparently he failed at attaching a picture or something...

I was agreeing with cpav. But here is a pic for you.

dHy2e.jpg

can't find it for pre-order at the moment though... Either you can't preorder this yet, or the places I've checked are actually already out of stock...

can't find it for pre-order at the moment though... Either you can't preorder this yet, or the places I've checked are actually already out of stock...
Out of stock everywhere unfortunately.

Out of stock everywhere unfortunately.
Yep... that's what I eventually figured out. Pretty lame, guess I should've been following things more closely. I'll have to monitor and see if something pops up somewhere. There was one collector edition last year (can't remember which) that everyone was having trouble getting. I ended up seeing it available on Amazon and ordering it, then later knew people who had ordered it and didn't get it when I did.FYI: Best buy has a deal, if you are a reward zone member (free) and a member of the gamer club (free), but then get gamer club [unlocked] ($14.99 a year, includes subscription to their @gamer magazine), you can get $20 worth of reward points for each of a number of games you pre-order. I'm considering the unlocked thing since there are a number of games I could pre-order and get the $20 back on.

I got the vault hunter edition of this a day or so after release a few weeks ago. Still sad I couldn't track down a normal priced loot chest edition, oh well.

Anyway, great game. If you liked Borderlands you'll like Borderlands 2. Same cell shading artwork, same premise. I'd give this 9/10.

If you aren't familiar with borderlands, it's a bit of a shooter, but really it's more of an open world RPG. If you are at all familiar with the Fallout games you'd be at home with this one. Basically you have 4 classes to choose from and start a character. You then work your way through the large game killing enemies, picking up loot (from enemies, loot chests, port-o-potties, or wherever else you may find it), and as you progress you'll get better and better weapons. Each class has a special skill of some sort and as you level up your character you can work your way through different skill trees assigning your experience points as desired to fit your play style and strategy.

I've completed one play through with the assassin class so far. I only reached level 34, so I could playthrough again on True vault hunter mode to work toward the current cap of Level 50. I'd note that currently I can go back and just run around playing as I like without doing this, just don't get nearly the XP once you are basically invincible to most enemies. There are a few side missions I didn't complete as well.

I'm more likely to go back and try some of the other classes (commando, gunzerker, or siren). Each has pretty unique skills:

Assassin has a ghosting skill where you basically throw out a decoy and you disappear. You can then move around with the enemies unaware of where you really are, perform more deadly melee attacks, etc

Commando has turret you can throw out which will help whittle down the enemies (this is probably my next choice after the assassin)

Gunzerker is basically a walking tank from my understanding. I believe their skill is the ability to wield more than one weapon at a time (all characters can carry and quickly change between up to 4 weapons, this guy can just equip and fire at least 2 at one time)

Siren - has a phaselock ability, which my understanding is that this basically can freeze an enemy so you can focus on other things for a while (like the others in the currently attacking swarm)

As of yesterday they also apparently released the first DLC which is a 5th class, the Mechromancer. Looking at their site, this appears to be a character that is a little more skilled with some weapons and elemental effects (electric, corrosive, fire, explosive ammo available for some weapons). Also appears somewhat like the commando as the skill seems to be something you can call that will help with fighting.

I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Ya a friend of mine was just saying how fun this game is.

Back